Soup weather is coming and I can’t wait, but I needed to squeeze in some last minute salad making before the soup-crazies set in.<– it’s totally a thing.
- a mentally deranged person that is obsessed with a liquid dish, typically made by boiling meat, fish, or vegetables, etc., in stock or water.
For the crunch factor we’re going old school with a package of uncooked ramen noodles. Toss aside the MSG-filled seasoning packet and break up the noodles. We’re also adding in my absolute favorite nut– Cashews! I live for these things.
Another element of crunch and flavor comes from some toasted sesame seeds. You can sometimes buy them already toasted, but if yours aren’t , toss them in a skillet over medium heat and let them sizzle for a few minutes until just lightly golden. This will give them added crunch as well as bring out their flavor.
The dressing is a quick mixture of oil, rice vinegar, sesame oil, soy sauce, and sweet chili sauce. I use sweet chili sauce in a lot of recipes because it’s sweet, slightly spicy and adds awesome flavor. This recipe shows a picture of the bottle if you’ve never purchased it before.
Shake up that dressing to combine, pour over the salad, and give it a quick toss to mix.
On a totally unrelated note, I found these protein bars at Costco a few weeks ago and I’ve been hooked ever since. They. Are. So. Good. Totally not sponsored, just thought I’d share. 🙂 Happy Monday!
- 1 bag (14oz) shredded coleslaw mix
- 4 C romaine lettuce, washed and chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1/3 C fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 packet raw ramen noodles broken up
- 1/2 C salted roasted cashews, chopped
- 1 1/2 Tbsp sesame seeds, toasted
- 2-3 C cooked chicken, chopped
- 1/4 C canola oil
- 2 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1/2 C sweet chili sauce
- 2 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- Combine all of the salad ingredients in a large bowl and toss.
- Place all of the dressing ingredients in a jar with a lid, shake to combine and pour over the salad.
by Heather Cheney
I'd love to see how you rocked it! Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #heatherlikesfood --It will totally make my day to see it!