This flavorful chicken and creamy pasta all cooked up in one simple pan is sure to be a family favorite!
Last week I made a pretty fun announcement to my email subscribers: 2016 is the year of the One Skillet Supper!
I decided that this year I’m going to focus on bringing you recipes for one pot meals. My goal is to help you get dinner on the table in the quickest, tastiest, and most efficient way possible and I don’t want to leave you with a kitchen full of dishes once everybody has full bellies! So, today’s recipe is my first installment on this journey. Never fear, I’ll likely still share recipes that I try and love (you can’t take a girl away from her cookies!!) but for the most part you can expect to see some pretty amazing one pan meals for the next while.
If you’d like to be on my email list and are not, just click the link below to sign up! I share announcements, give updates, share giveaways and much more with my email subscribers. I’d love to have you join! Be An Email Subscriber!
This recipe started about 5 years ago when I posted this gem of a recipe for smothered chicken. It was one the first few recipes I posted on this little blog of mine! A little while later that recipe turned into a recipe for smothered chicken casserole which just happens to be one of the most visited recipes on the site! The recipe itself is suuuuuppppper good but it uses too many dishes, TOO MANY DISHES!
So, I decided to give it a makeover. Going along with our theme for the year, this version uses just ONE pan and still brings the big punch of flavor the original recipe did. I reduced the amount of cream used as well so it’s a little less indulgent but still feels pretty naughty which is always kind of fun.
If you give this One Pan Smothered Chicken Skillet a go and I’d love to hear what you think. Don’t forget to subscribe to my email list if you aren’t already– some good things are coming there! 🙂
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- ½ C caesar salad dressing
- 4 slices bacon
- 8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tbsp All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 4 C chicken broth
- ½ lb angel hair pasta
- 2 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ C cream
- 1 C gruyere cheese, grated
- 1 tomato, diced
- ¼ C parsley, chopped
- Place chicken breasts and caesar dressing in a large ziplock bag and allow to marinade for at least 4 hours up to overnight.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon until browned and crisp. Remove bacon from the pan and place on paper towels to drain.
- Leaving the bacon grease in the pan, heat over medium-high heat and cook the chicken breasts for about 2 minutes per side or until they get some color on them. They do not have to be cooked through, just browned. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Pour off all but 2 tbsp of the bacon grease from the pan, return to the heat and cook the onions and mushrooms until tender and caramelized-- about 3-5 minutes.
- Sprinkle flour over the mushrooms and onions and stir until combined. Slowly pour the chicken broth into the pan, stirring constantly until no lumps remain. Stir in the salt and pepper and break the pasta in half, placing it in the pan. Arrange the chicken on top of the pasta, bring the pan to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 6-8 minutes or until the pasta is tender and chicken is cooked through.
- Remove chicken from pan once again and add the cream, lemon juice, cheese, tomato and parsley to the pasta. Stir to combine and place the chicken on top of the pasta to serve