I found this recipe about on my friend’s blog about a year ago and I’ve been making my tweaked version of it regularly ever since. That’s saying something considering It’s not often that I make the same thing more than twice. What can I say, I just like trying new things. It’s a weight watchers recipe and it is soo filling that you only need one bowl to fill you up on a cold night. Top with a little bit of sour cream, green onions, and diced avocado and you’re in business. Oh, and it’s easy too.
- 4 cans black beans
- 6 oz ham steak
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced 1 can chopped green chiles
- 1 teas ground cumin
- 1/2 teas each, chili powder and smoked paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teas salt
- Place 2 cans of the black beans in a colander; rinse and drain. Transfer the beans to a bowl and stir in the remaining cans of beans.
- Spray a large saucepan with non-stick spray, and set over medium-high heat. Add the ham and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3-4 minutes. Add the onion, bell peppers, and garlic. Add in the Cumin and chili powder, and paprika. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the beans and broth; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer until slightly thickened; about 30 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat; allow to cool about 10 minutes. Pour 4 cups of the soup in a blender and puree. Return the pureed soup to the saucepan and stir in the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes.
I'd love to see how you rocked it! Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #heatherlikesfood --It will totally make my day to see it!