I always know it’s time to make banana bread when my toes start getting attacked by frozen bananas. It usually begins with just one delinquent banana that’s made its way off of the freezer door shelf but slowly escalates as more bananas go south and end up gracing the racks of my freezer. And then, it happens: A meeting is held that determines the day and time that every last one of them will make their grand escape, fall ever-so-ungracefully on my toes, make me utter a few choice words, and meet their fate in my mixing bowl.
I have two recipes for banana bread that I absolutely love. The first being my mom’s which I’ve yet to gain permission to divulge and the second is this delicious little gem. There are 3 things about this recipe that make it special:
- It has a high ratio of bananas and butter which makes for very moist bread with tender crumb.
- It uses bread flour instead of all-purpose flour to keep the gummy-ness from so much moisture at bay and also gives it some structure.
- Its deliciousness factor is raised 10x by coating the pans and tops with just a bit of sugar.
Do you have bananas attacking your toes or am I the only crazy person that keeps old bananas in the freezer?
- 10 oz butter, melted
- 2 1/4 C sugar
- 2 1/4 C over-ripe bananas, mashed room temperature
- 3 1/4 C bread flour
- 3 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp baking soda
- Preheat Oven to 350°
- Combine sugar with melted butter and stir in mashed bananas, eggs, and vanilla.
- Pour flour over banana mixture and sprinkle with baking soda and salt.
- Mix just until no dry spots remain- do not over mix.
- Prepare pans by spraying liberally with cooking spray and coating the sides with sugar by swirling and tapping.
- Fill pans ⅔ of the way full and sprinkle more sugar on top.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes depending on pan size. Bread is done when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Let cool and invert to remove loaves.
by Heather Cheney
I'd love to see how you rocked it! Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #heatherlikesfood --It will totally make my day to see it!