If you’re on Pinterest, haven’t been smooshed under a rock , or not in a coma you’re probably familiar with this idea. It seems like they’re everywhere and I’ve had them on my list to make for a while now. So once Super Bowl Sunday came around I knew it was time (regardless of whether or not we actually watch the game, we ALWAYS have Super Bowl food). I love that they’re easy to make and can be assembled up to a day ahead of time and baked just before serving. Another big plus is that they are very kid friendly while being just interesting enough for adults to get excited about them too.
Most of the recipes I found used sweet Hawaiian style rolls as their base, but between the price and their sometimes weird texture, I wasn’t sold. I used just regular ol’ dinner rolls- soft, dense and deliciously enriched. 🙂 I still wanted them to be sweet, though so I added a bit of brown sugar to the sauce and I loved the caramelized, sticky crust it created.
- 16 White Dinner Style Rolls, cut in half
- 24 slices Honey Ham
- 16 slices Swiss Cheese
- 1/4 C Mayonnaise
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 8 Tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tbsp poppy seeds
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400°
- On a rimmed baking sheet place bottom half of dinner rolls and top with 1½ slices of ham and 1 slice of swiss cheese. Spread about 1 tsp of mayonnaise on each top-half of roll and place on top of ham and cheese. You want the rolls to be snug together, kissing just a bit so the sauce can soak up into all of the nooks and crannies.
- In a small bowl combine the mustard, melted butter, onion powder, Worcestershire sauce, poppy seeds, and brown sugar. Mix until combined and evenly pour over the assembled rolls. Cover with foil and refrigerate until ready to bake.
- Bake covered with foil for 10 minutes, remove the foil and bake for an additional 5-10 minutes or until the tops are browned, and cheese is good and melted.
by Heather Cheney
I'd love to see how you rocked it! Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #heatherlikesfood --It will totally make my day to see it!