This last weekend we headed down the coastline to visit my in-laws. It just happened to be the same weekend as the Annual Crab Feed in a nearby town but instead of paying an arm and a leg to eat crab with people we didn’t know, we decided to have a crab dinner of our own!
Truth be told, I’m not a huge fan of crab (gasp!) but I willingly noshed my corn on the cob alongside the rest of the crew as they meticulously cleaned out legs and claws one after another. My contribution to the dinner was a big bowl of coleslaw and this is the recipe I brought along. My go-to recipe for coleslaw is my go-to for a reason– it’s good! But, since I’m still riding the train to crazy town where I can’t have sugar,I needed to mix things up a bit.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
All the sweetness in this recipe comes from a grated apple. I used a big juicy Fuji apple and it worked great. Your coleslaw will vary in sweetness based on the apple you use. I also like to grate the apple right over the bowl so that all the sweet juices aren’t wasted on a paper towel or cutting board.
Give all the ingredients a toss and you’re set to go!
Apple Poppy Seed Coleslaw
- 14 ounce coleslaw mix
- 1 whole large fuji apple grated (about 1 cup)
- 2 whole green onions sliced (use green and white sections
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1-2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- Combine all ingredients in a medium sized bowl and toss until well mixed. Plan to make it at least an hour in advance so the flavors can meld. Serve well chilled.