Pizza dip, sticky fingers, and queso blanco were the stars of the show at my house yesterday. But this morning I’m about ready to swear off anything that isn’t a salad. I ate WAY too much and am ready for a break, at least until I open the fridge at lunch time and see all the leftovers.
At any rate, these baked sweet potatoes are the perfect treat for those times when your will-power is running low and you want something that tastes naughty but really isn’t. Bacon and blue cheese are great because they have such strong flavors that you don’t need very much in order to make a big impact.
Oh, and then… then there’s that sweet, sticky, tangy, balsamic glaze. Cooked down with a little bit of brown sugar, this is made from balsamic vinegar that’s simmered until thick. It’s a perfect, low-calorie way to add lots of zingy flavor to something that’s other wise ho-hum and not very exciting.
So let’s break this sweet potato down, shall we? We’re loading it with crispy bacon, sharp blue cheese, a little sprinkle of fresh green onions, and drizzling a sweet and tangy balsamic glaze over the top. Sounds pretty heavenly doesn’t it?
While we’re on the subject of foods that taste much more sinful than they are, I have an awesome giveaway for something that is just that. Brookside Chocolate combines smooth dark chocolate with exotic fruit juice pieces and are excellent for guilt-free nightly (or hourly) chocolate cravings. You’ll notice that the bags in the picture below are already opened. That’s because they’re good, real good.
Brookside wants you to see just how good they are too and have a tasting kit ready to ship out to one of my awesome readers.
This tasting kit includes everything you need for a night of chocolate indulgence and would be the perfect thing to break out on Valentines Day:
- 3 bags of Brookside Chocolates (Pomegranate, Goji w/ Raspberry, Acai w/ Blueberry)
- Cheese Board and Knife
- 3 Bowl server
- 2 Stemless Wine Glasses
- $30 American Express Gift Card (to buy cheese, drinks, or whatever else you need for your tasting party)
A winner will be picked on Friday, so hurry and enter!
- 4 medium sweet potatoes
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 4 oz. blue cheese, crumbled
- 2 green onions, chopped
- salt, pepper, olive oil
- 1 C balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 C brown sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place potatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle potatoes with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake for 45 minutes or until they pierce easily with a fork.
- Combine vinegar and sugar in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer. Continue to simmer for about 15 minutes or until it has thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
- Remove from the heat and stir in butter.
- Slice potatoes down the center and top with bacon, cheese, onions and drizzle with the glaze.
I'd love to see how you rocked it! Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #heatherlikesfood --It will totally make my day to see it!