English Muffin Toaster Bread
cup very warm, but not hot water
tbsp kosher salt
tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp sugar
tbsp + 1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
C bread flour
C all purpose flour
- Stir all ingredients together with a stand mixer or by hand until just combined. The dough will be very sticky and shaggy.
- Scrap the sides of the bowl and loosely form into one mound in the bowl. Cover with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about an hour or until it's doubled in size.
- Spray 2 standard-sized loaf pans with cooking spray and sprinkle a few tablespoons of cornmeal into each one. Tilt the pans and tap gently until all the sides are coated with cornmeal.Tap out any extra and set aside.
- Spray your hands with cooking spray and use them to divide the sticky dough evenly into the pans. Press the dough into the corners, spray the tops with more cooking spray and looselycover with plastic wrap. Let rise for about 1 hour or until doubled in size and the dough is just coming over the edge of the pan. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove plastic wrap and bake for about 40 minutes or until the top is a nice light golden brown color. Remove from the oven and brush the top liberally with melted butter.
- Immediately turn the loaves onto a cooling rack and let cool completely before slicing.
- This bread can be stored at room temperature, tightly wrapped for up to a week or frozen for up to 3 months.
by Heather Cheney