Hearty Ranch Breakfast Strata – This week my mom and brother came to visit us and make our rainy spring break a little brighter. Somehow the weather gods of the pacific northwest know that spring break is coming up so they give us a teaser week of sunshine and happiness the week before and rain and gloom the whole week we’re out of school. It’s excellent really. But despite the icky weather we’re still having fun filling up our schedules with trips to the cheese factory and thrift store hunting so all is well.
How to Make This Hearty Ranch Breakfast Strata
When I have company I hate spending more time that I need to in the kitchen so breakfast stratas like this one make breakfast quick, easy. and are super crowd pleasers. Today’s strata cuts down on some of the prep time by using a packet of Hidden Valley ranch dressing mix to season it so you don’t have to go digging through the cupboards for things like ground mustard. You’re welcome.
When the hardest part about making a recipe is not eating the crispy bacon pieces before they make their way into the mix, you know it’s a keeper.
Potatoes cooked in a bit of bacon grease, anyone?
We’re also loading this Hearty Ranch Breakfast Strata up with diced potatoes, ham, onion, cheese and plenty of egg.
Adding Ranch Seasoning Completes This Recipe
But before we mix it all up, the potatoes, ham and onion get a little shower from a packet of Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix. Just the seasoning mix, friends. If you add mayonnaise or milk to it you’ll have very different results than I did. Just sayin’.
You know, I’ve had quite a few stratas in my day and adding the ranch seasoning adds just a little punch of flavor that really makes it stand out.
From here you can start the layering: cubed white bread, potatoe/ham/onion mixture, bacon, cheese, and repeat one more time.
Whisk up a few eggs with some milk and a little bit of salt and pour evenly over the contents of the pan. Make sure to make this up the day before you’re going to enjoy it so that it has plenty of time to sit and absorb the egg mixture. This way you’re also able to wake up in the morning and quickly pop it into the oven while you’re still in your skivvies before your guests wake up.
They’ll soon be awakened by the sweet smell of ham and bacon and think that you’ve been up slaving away over their breakfast.
From dressings and dips to sandwich spreads and side dish solutions, the special blend of herbs and spices makes Hidden Valley the perfect addition to any recipe. For more delectable ranch recipes, visit www.hiddenvalley.com.
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of Hidden Valley Ranch. The opinions and text are all mine.
- 12 oz bacon, chopped
- 12 oz cooked ham, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 C potatoes, peeled and cut into 1
- 1, 1 oz packet Hidden Valley Original Ranch Dressing Mix
- 12 slices white bread, cut into 2" cubes
- 3 C medium cheddar cheese, grated
- 8 lg eggs
- 3 C milk
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp, remove from pan and drain of all but 2 tbsp of the bacon fat. Add potatoes to the hot bacon drippings and cook until just tender-- about 5-7 minutes. Add ham and onion. Cook and stir until onion is tender and stir in ranch dressing packet.
- In a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish, layer half the bread cubes, potatoes mixture, bacon and cheese. Repeat layers of bread, potatoes, meat, and cheese.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs; add the milk and salt. Pour over all. Cover and chill overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 325° for 65-70 minutes or until a knife inserted near the center comes out clean.
I'd love to see how you rocked it! Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #heatherlikesfood --It will totally make my day to see it!