Posted by https://heatherlikesfood.com/instant-pot-broccoli-and-four-cheese-soup/
© 2017 Heather Likes Food. All rights reserved.
Instant Pot Broccoli and Four Cheese Soup
If you're craving a rich and creamy soup that is a snap to put together and takes under 20 minutes to make, this Instant Pot Broccoli and Four Cheese Soup is for you!
- 3 tbsp butter
- 1 small/medium onion, finely diced
- 2 large carrots, diced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 C all-purpose flour
- 3 C chicken or vegetable broth (See Note 1)
- 5-6 C broccoli florets
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp dried dill weed
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 slices kraft singles american cheese, cut into slices (See Note 2)
- 1 C pepper jack cheese, shredded
- 1 C colby jack cheese, shredded
- 1/2 C parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 C Fat Free Half and Half (See Note 3)
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot and add butter. When butter is melted stir in onion and carrots and cook until onion is translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and flour, and cook for 1 minute and stir in broth. Continue stirring until no flour lumps remain. Add broccoli to the pot, cover, and set Instant Pot to cook at High Pressure for 8 minutes.
- At the end of 8 minutes, do a quick release of pressure, open lid and turn off the pot. Stir in salt, paprika, dijon, dill, and pepper.
- Stir in cheeses, mixing until fully melted and stir in half and half just before serving.
1. I love to use Better Than Bullion for all my broths. It's so easy to keep in the fridge and mix up a bit when I need it.
2. I use 4 different kinds of cheese to kick up the flavor, but if you only have one or two, use what you have! Sharp cheddar is great because of it's strong flavor, but most melting cheese will work-- you'll just a little different flavor profile. Make it your own!
3. Fat-Free Half and Half can be a little finicky and has the tendency to curdle when overheated. I've found that Land O' Lakes Brand is the least likely to curdle for whatever reason and it tastes great too. And by all means, if you want to use full-fat cream or half and half, do it! It will just make your soup that much better!
4. To Make on The Stove Top: Follow steps 1 and 2 and then bring to a simmer and cook until the broccoli is very tender-- about 30 minutes. Remove pot from the heat and stir in spices, herbs, cheese and half and half to serve.