It turns out zucchini doesn’t have to be dipped in beer batter, fried to golden crispy perfection and dunked in ranch dressing to be delicious! This chicken and zucchini saute uses just a handful of ingredients and is ready in under 30 minutes.
Way back when I was just a little Heather, maybe 10-ish, we moved into a house that had a big raised garden bed. My mom was so excited to plant her very first garden and did a great job, but planted like 6 zucchini plants. If you know anything about gardening, you know that we ate zucchini until we were green that summer. And ever since (believe it or not) I’ve been a huge zucchini fan. I actually blame my mother for my slight fried zucchini addiction because that same summer was when I got my first fix.
I’ve never been the same.
It turns out that zucchini doesn’t have to be dipped in beer batter, fried to golden crispy perfection and dunked in ranch dressing to be delicious! This saute uses just a handful of ingredients and is ready in under 30 minutes. There’s a light sauce created from the reduced chicken broth and lemon juice and is great served over pasta, rice, or other grains. We last ate ours over some Israeli couscous and it was fabulous! Please try it and let me know what you think!
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh zucchini, cut into bite-sized rounds
- 2-3 chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2-3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 C chicken broth
- 2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 C fresh Italian parsley (flat leaf), chopped
- 1/4 C parmesan cheese, freshly grated
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet and bring to medium-high heat. Add chicken to hot pan and leave undisturbed for a minute or two until they have a chance to really brown and caramelize.
- Sprinkle salt and pepper over chicken and continue to cook, stir-frying a few minutes longer until cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Place zucchini in the pan, adding an additional tablespoon of oil if needed. Stirfry until the zucchini is just barely tender and has a bit of color.
- Pour chicken broth into the pan and us the back of a spatula to scrape up any browned bits from the bottom. Bring to a simmer and let cook over medium-low until the liquid has reduced by about half.
- Stir chicken, parsley, lemon juice, and parmesan into the zucchini. Toss to coat in the cooking liquid and serve over pasta, rice, couscous or quinoa.
I'd love to see how you rocked it! Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #heatherlikesfood --It will totally make my day to see it!