Confession: I like to sleep in. Like, alot.
My poor early-rising hubby has adapted well in the almost 8 years that we’ve been married, but I’m pretty sure he wanted to fix me of my “disease” when we first got married. “It’s wise to arise….just get in the habit…you’ll feel better…you’ll get to eat breakfast”.
Ha! Well, I’m pretty darn wise (if I do say so myself), your body needs rest, therefore, sleeping is a good habit, I feel awesome when I’m sleeping, and nothing can take my breakfast away from me. Heather-1 hubby-0
Needless to say he hasn’t won.
I win. Every. Time.
Hi honey, love you.
If you’re chronically prone to
sleeping in being awesome, this breakfast bake is for you. I love breakfast food, but rarely have time/motivation to actually prepare anything besides cereal in the mornings. This can be assembled the night before and baked in the morning but it also reheats beautifully in the microwave within 30 seconds if you don’t have time to cook it in the morning.
Nothing takes my breakfast away from me. Nothing.
You’ll start with a 12 oz. bag of frozen, shredded potatoes and spread it out in a greased 9×13″ pan.
Why does cheese have to be so sinfully delicious? Top the potatoes with 1 1/2 C shredded sharp cheddar.
I used pork breakfast sausage for this, but I’m willing to bet that bacon would be just as good, if not better. Let’s be honest, we all know everything is better with bacon. Brown up your sausage or bacon, remove from pan and drain leaving a few tablespoons of fat in the pan.
Heat your pan back up to medium heat and throw in about 2 C chopped bell peppers (I used sweet mini peppers). Cook them until tender, remove from heat, and stir in 1/4 C of sliced green onions.
Sprinkle your onion/pepper mixture evenly over the cheese…
In a bowl combine 3 eggs with 2/3 C milk, 1/2 tsp salt, and a 1/4 tsp black pepper. Whisk, whisk, whisk…
Pour, pour, pour the egg mixture evenly over everything else.
You can either put this in the oven now or wrap it up and bake it in them morning (afternoon, evening, there really isn’t a time you can’t bake this, thought I’d let you know). Bake uncovered at 350° for 35-45 minutes. The middle will be set and a knife will come out clean when it’s done. The sausage or bacon should be brown and crisp and the eggs will cause it to puff up a bit.
So really, the moral of this whole post is that even if you like to sleep in, you CAN have your cake, and eat it too.
Er, um… you can have your sleep and still eat a good breakfast.
My definition of “good” may or may not be the same as yours. Yummy? Yes. As good for you as a bowl full of steel-cut oats? Maybe not.
- 12 oz. frozen shredded potatoes
- 8 oz. ground breakfast sausage
- 1 1/2 C sharp cheese, grated
- 1/4 C sliced green onions
- 3 lg. eggs
- 2/3 C milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 C chopped bell pepper
- Grease a 9x13" in baking pan and preheat oven to 350°
- Spread potatoes in an even layer in pan
- Sprinkle grated cheese over potatoes
- Brown sausage until cooked through and drain. Reserve 1-2 tbsp of fat in pan
- Saute peppers in reserved fat until they start to become soft, remove from heat and stir in onions
- Sprinkle pepper mixture over cheese and potatoes, followed by the sausage
- In a bowl, combine eggs, milk, salt, and pepper. Whisk until well combined and pour evenly over entire contents of pan.
- Cover and refrigerate for up to 24 hours or bake immediately.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes (time will vary based on ovens and altitude). The middle will be set and a knife will come out clean when inserted into the middle. The sausage will be nicely browned and the eggs puffed up a bit.
I'd love to see how you rocked it! Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #heatherlikesfood --It will totally make my day to see it!