So after yesterday’s festival of all things filled with carbs, butter, and heaven, I thought I’d lighten today’s recipe up a bit and give your gall bladder a break for a few days.
We’re making Skinny Fried Chicken and it’s a good change of pace from the normal, heavy, deep fried version but keeps all the flavor. But first, let me tell you where I got it.
A few weeks back I was sent David Venable’s newest cookbook to check out, Back Around the Table: An “In the Kitchen with David” Cookbook from QVC’s Resident Foodie. If you’re not familiar, David has a wildly popular cooking show on QVC which focuses mostly on comfort foods which, of course, speaks to my heart. #macandcheeseforever
The cookbook itself is filled with lots of comfort food classics, some are just full-fledged comfort, and others– like this chicken– are lightened up a bit which I love.
As you know, we recently moved, and upon moving in I realized that my kitchen has the lighting of a prehistoric cave. Not that time period has anything to do with light (unless is does), but it’s dark. So until I figure out a way to light my step-by-step photos we’re going to have to say good bye to those. So I’ll just tell you that this chicken gets marinated in buttermilk, dipped in a super flavorful breading made of cornflake crumbs, and then baked to crispy, moist, delicious perfection. My family loved this and I’m super excited to start cooking through the rest of David’s book.
- 12 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, pounded to 1/2 inch thick
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce
- Vegetable oil spray
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups cornflake crumbs
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Rinse the chicken breasts in cold water, then place them in a resealable plastic bag with the buttermilk and hot sauce. Close the bag, shake until the chicken pieces are fully coated, and refrigerate for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Position a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Spray a wire rack with vegetable oil spray and place it in a roasting pan or on a baking sheet.
- Place the flour on a plate. Mix the cornflake crumbs, paprika, salt, black pepper, cayenne, garlic powder, onion powder, and poultry seasoning in a bowl until the ingredients are evenly distributed. Remove the chicken breasts from the bag and place them on a plate. Pour the marinade into a medium bowl. Dredge each breast with the flour until fully coated, shaking off any excess. Then coat the chicken in the marinade, followed by a dredging in the cornflake mixture.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on the prepared wire rack. Bake for 15 minutes. Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F and bake until cooked through and crispy, 15 to 20 minutes.
by Heather Cheney
I'd love to see how you rocked it! Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #heatherlikesfood --It will totally make my day to see it!
If you think your family will enjoy this recipe, be sure to visit qvc.co/AroundtheTableCookbook to learn more about and purchase Back Around the Table: An “In the Kitchen with David” Cookbook. Filled with 156 great recipes like this, you’re sure to find something that fits your lifestyle and gathers everyone back around the table!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of QVC. The opinions and text are all mine.