Everyone needs a good broccoli and cheese soup in their life and that’s just what this is! It’s rich, creamy, full of broccoli and is super simple to throw together and let simmer the day away in the slow cooker.
We’re in the middle of moving right now (womp. womp) and this post is sounding a whole like like a post I wrote about this time last year. For the record, moving 3 times in 3 years is NOT recommended when you have 3 kids.
But alas, it’s happening. The good new is that I’ll actually have a window or 2 or 3(!) in my kitchen so my step-by-step photos won’t looks so haunted anymore. AND we know we get to stay at our new place for at least 2 more years until the hubs starts his Internship at which time we’ll get to move yet again. But that time we’ll just be going for a year and are going to put everything in storage…
Anywho, let’s make some soup! This broccoli soup is so easy to throw together and is so warm and filling during the cold months. In order to make sure that it’s thick and hearty, we’ll start off by making a roux on the stove top before transferring it to the slow cooker.
Butter + Flour = Roux
Add some half and half and milk, give it a good stir and you have a nice and creamy soup base!
Pour that soup base into the slow cooker, whisk in some chicken broth and top it all off with broccoli, cream cheese (adds a little tang and extra creaminess) onion, garlic, salt, pepper, and just a little chipotle chili powder. You can skip the chili powder if you’d like, but it adds just a touch of smokiness and a teeny tiny bit of warmth to the soup that makes it awesome.
Just cover the slow cooker up, let it cook for 6-8 hours on low, or 4 hours on High and it’s done…mostly. Before serving, stir in some shredded sharp cheddar cheese until it’s melted. I also like to use my potato masher to break up any big pieces of broccoli that are left, but that’s totally up to you!
Slow Cooker Broccoli Cheese Soup
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 1/2 cups milk I used 1%
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 5 cups broccoli cut into florettes
- 1/2 medium-large onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon chipotle chili powder
- 2 cups sharp cheddar cheese grated
- In a medium sized sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat and stir in flour. Cook for one minute.
- Slowly whisk in half and half and milk and continue to stir until the mixture comes to boil and is thickened. Remove from the heat and whisk in the chicken broth.
- Transfer mixture to the slow cooker and top with the broccoli, cream cheese, onion, garlic, salt, pepper and chili powder. Let cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
- When ready to serve, stir in cheddar cheese until melted. Use a potato masher to break up any big pieces of broccoli if desired. Serve with bread and additional cheese.