I realize I just posted a soup recipe last Friday but I figure I better keep them coming for all of you buried in snow on the east coast. Stay warm friends! This recipe is one that I posted many moons ago when HLF was just a baby but I wanted to update the picture and bring it back to the front page because it’s one that I make often. I love that it’s low in calories but with all the beans just one bowl fills me up!
I’m going to keep it short today as I’m flying home from Orlando today. I’ll be back with another recipe on Thursday and a recap of my trip– can’t wait to share what I did with you!
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Want More Delicious Soup Recipes?
Smoky Black Bean and Ham Soup
- 56 ounces black beans 4 cans
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 ounce ham steak
- 1 whole onion chopped
- 1 whole green bell pepper seeded and chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 4 ounce can chopped green chiles
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon each chili powder and smoked paprika
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- Place 2 cans of the black beans in a colander; rinse and drain.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ham and cook, stirring occasionally, until browned, 3-4 minutes. Add the onion, bell peppers, and garlic. Add in the Cumin and chili powder, and paprika. Cook, stirring occasionally, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the drained beans, broth, green chiles and remaining 2 cans of beans undrained; bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, and simmer until slightly thickened; about 30 minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat; allow to cool about 10 minutes. Pour 4 cups of the soup in a blender and puree. Return the pureed soup to the saucepan and stir in the salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until heated through, about 2 minutes.