Have an Instant Pot? Need recipes that are thoroughly tested and WORK?Get my new cookbook collection for 40% OFF!
These sourdough breakfast rolls are stuffed with eggs, cheese, and sausage and are the perfect make-ahead breakfast!
These sourdough savory breakfast rolls make a great a great grab-n-go breakfast and also fare well at the dinner table. I served them with sautéed asparagus the other night and it was a hit! They reheat beautifully in the microwave and you can even freeze them! If you’re interested in other make-ahead breakfast recipes, this Sausage, Egg and Potato Breakfast Bake is always a hit as is my Blueberry Muffin French Toast Souffle!
How to Make Breakfast Rolls
I used sourdough rolls because they are denser than most regular dinner rolls which makes them good for soaking up the egg. Regular rolls will work just fine if they have a crusty outside that the egg won’t seep out of as easily.
- You’ll need to hollow out them babies and make room for the breakfast roll filling. Be careful not to cut the tops to low or cut through the bottom or the filling will leak out. After cutting circles out with a paring knife I had to use my finger to pick out some of the bread. They should look like cute little bread bowls when you’re done.
2. Brown your sausage and drain off any fat. Let it cool a little bit before adding into the egg.
3. Mix your eggs and cream until well blended.
4. Add in your cheese, onion, salt, pepper, and sausage.
5. I used my large cookie scoop to measure the egg mix into the breakfast rolls. I can never have enough scoops of different sizes in my kitchen, I use them ALL the time! And having so many different sizes makes me feel important.
6. Cover them up and let sit in the fridge for at least an hour so the rolls have time to soak up the egg. You could even make them overnight breakfast rolls and bake in the morning. However you do it, you’ve got yourself some little bites of eggy, sausagey breakfast roll heaven in the end.
- Choose a Sturdy Roll– Sourdough rolls work great for these because they are crusty and sturdy and hold their shape well. If you can find another roll that has those same qualities, use it!
- Don’t Overfill– Do your best to not spill the egg mixture out of the breakfast bread rolls. A little bit of spillage won’t be a bit deal, but your clean up will be much easier if you try to keep the bulk of it inside the roll.
- Reheat Gently– These rolls reheat really well, just make sure to do so gently in the microwave. Both eggs and bread reheat quickly in the microwave so heat in 10-second intervals until as hot as you’d like it.
Sourdough Breakfast Rolls
- 12 sourdough dinner rolls
- 6 whole large eggs
- 1/3 cup + 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 6 ounces pork breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup sharp cheddar cheese grated
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- a few grinds black pepper
- Cut a small, deep circle in the tops of the rolls being careful not to pierce the bottom. Remove the cut circle and any more needed bread with your fingers until the roll looks like a mini bread bowl.
- Brown the sausage until slightly crisp and drain off any fat. Set aside until lightly cooled.
- Combine the eggs and heavy cream, whisking until well combined and smooth. Add the cheese, onion, salt, pepper, and sausage.
- With a measuring spoon or cookie scoop, evenly distribute the egg mixture between the cut rolls until it is all used.
- Cover the rolls with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour, up to overnight.
- Remove from fridge and bake in a preheated oven at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until a knife inserted into the middle of the roll comes out clean and the egg is set.