This Coffee Cake In A Mug recipe is the perfect remedy for a sugar craving! If you’ve tried other mug cakes and weren’t sold, you have to try this one! It takes about a minute to bake in the microwave and about that much time to mix it together. It’s fluffy, light, and has an irresistible streusel topping!
Coffee Cake Mug Cake
I usually try to stay FAR, FAR away from the microwave when it comes to anything besides reheating food. In fact, Baking in the microwave pretty much goes against everything I believe in. Until now.
I’m guessing you’ve probably tried a mug cake by now and have been underwhelmed by it, am I right? I know I have! I think we all want to believe that we can spend a few minutes mixing something up, throw it in the microwave and have a decadent creation presented to us by the microwave gods 1 minute later. Because, well, that would be cool.
Well, I’m here with some good news! I have a mug cake recipe that doesn’t suck! 🙂 And when I say it doesn’t suck, I mean it’s reeeeeaaaalllly dang good. Like, the microwave gods are really pleased with themselves and how this coffee cake in a mug turned out.
If you’ve been following the blog for a while, you know that I posted this recipe a long time ago– 5 1/2 years ago to be exact! And, I figured it was time to take some updated pictures (aka- give myself an excuse to make some cake).
Does Coffee Cake In a Mug Have Coffee In It?
If you read through the comments at the end of the post you’ll see a pretty common thread– “Why doesn’t this have coffee in it?!?” Well, here’s the answer: Traditional coffee cake DOESN’T actually have coffee IN it. Instead, it’s a cake that is commonly served WITH coffee.
Tips for Making Coffee Cake In A Mug:
- Make sure your mug is big enough to allow the cake to rise about 1 inch. Nobody likes cleaning out the microwave. 🙂
- Microwave ovens all vary so your cooking time will vary, too! My microwave cooks it perfectly at the 6o second mark. I suggest starting at 50 seconds and going up in 10-second intervals until the center is set. You can check this by inserting a toothpick into the middle and if it comes out with only a few moist crumbs, it’s done!
- The BEST way to eat this cake is straight out of the microwave when it’s nice and hot! Of course, you can let it cool as to not burn your face off, but once it’s cooled completely it loses some of its magic.
Want More Mug Cake Recipes?
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 2 Tablespoons sugar
- 2 Tablespoons applesauce
- vanilla extract, few drops
- 1/4 cup All Purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- In a mug soften 1 tbsp of butter in microwave, about 5 seconds. You don’t want it melted, just soft. Stir in 2 tbsp of sugar and mix until well incorporated. Stir in applesauce, vanilla (just a tiny bit, we’re talking drops), flour, baking powder, and pinch of salt; stirring until just combined. Use the back of your spoon to smooth it out in the bottom of the mug.
- Want struesel? Of course you do! In a separate, small bowl, combine 1 tbsp of butter, 2 tbsp of flour, 1 tbsp of brown sugar, and ¼ tsp cinnamon. Use your fingers to to pinch the butter and mix it in with the other ingredients. When it starts to look like lumpy sand (appetizing, eh?) and all ingredients are combined, pour on top of cake batter in mug.
- Cook in the microwave for 50-80 seconds depending on your microwave. At 1 minute, my microwave cooks it perfectly. It will look just barely set on top. You don’t want to overcook it and things tend to get ugly fast in the microwave. I suggest cooking it 50 seconds, and then in 10 second intervals checking after each interval until done. Eat white it’s still warm. Once it cools off, it tends to loose some of it’s magic!
I'd love to see how you rocked it! Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #heatherlikesfood --It will totally make my day to see it!