A few weeks back we had a good friend return from India on a service trip. Ever since she came home with photos of brightly decorated buildings and clothes and told us of her elephant riding adventures and spice markets so fragrant she almost couldn’t handle it, I’ve been longing to go.
The night she came for dinner to give us the scoop on her trip I made this sweet potato and chickpea curry and she showed us how to eat with just our right hand and a piece of Indian bread (or tortillas, in our case). The 6 yr. old thought it was awesome that we were eating our whole meal with just our hand, it didn’t strike the 2 yr old as odd, and the hubs gave up after deciding his rice to bite ratio was just too low to be satisfying. I don’t know what I was thinking making curry for her. I mean, she had just had the real thing 3 days ago, but I did it anyways– that’s just how I roll. She said it tasted just as good as the ones she had there, but I’m not convinced.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Regardless of how authentic this curry is, it’s pretty darn good. I love the soft texture of the sweet potato paired with the nutty chickpeas. It comes together super quickly and builds multiple layers of flavor in a relatively short amount time so it’s great for a weeknight meal.
You’ll start by heating a few tablespoons of oil in a large skillet and then adding in some curry powder, ground cumin, cinnamon and chopped onions. Stir and cook about 3 minutes or until very fragrant.
Add 3 cups of diced sweet potatoes, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of coconut milk, 1 cup of water and a can of chickpeas that have been rinsed and drained.
Bring the entire mixture to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for at least 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
Serve over rice or give my recipe for grilled naan a try to scoop it up. Use a fork, use your fingers, or use some bread. Just find a way to eat it and pretend like you’re in some far away land soaking in the sun sipping on a mango lassi. Please.
Here Are Some Other Curry Recipes You Might Like
- Basic Chicken Curry made with Coconut Milk
- Coconut Curry with Fried Tofu
- Mixed Vegetable Curry Recipe
- Indian Butter Chicken
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 2 1/2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 C peeled and diced sweet potatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can coconut milk
- 1 C water
- 1 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 14.5 oz can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- In a large skillet heat the oil over med-high heat and stir in the spices and onion. Cook about 3 minutes or until very fragrant and the onions have started to soften.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the pan, stir to combine and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are soft. Continue to simmer uncovered until the curry reaches the thickness that you'd like.
- Serve over rice or with flat bread.