BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad - Once upon a time I started this little blog and knew a whole lot about nothing on how to make food look good for pictures. This BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad is one of my favorites and it quickly made its way to my blog but the picture I posted of it has always left something to be desired. Since it's way too good to not have a picture that doesn't do it justice, I decided to give it a little makeover and post again. I want you ALL to be able to revel in it's goodness because I kind of like you.
How to Make BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad
So, here we go...
You'll start this deliciousness by roasting your pineapple and corn. Spread some fresh or frozen corn kernels and a can of pineapple tidbits ( i love that word) out on a baking sheet and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a drizzle of olive oil. Stir around to make sure everything is well coated and bake at 450° for 15-20 minutes.
Once the tidbits are nice and caramelized, take them out of the oven and let cool. Try not to pick the pineapple out and eat it all before it even sees the salad. It's amazing. It will be hard and it will be worth it.
You'll also need some cooked chicken. This time around I used some leftover BBQ chicken because it seemed fitting, but plain chicken works well too since the dressing is so flavorful.
Tomatoes, red onion...
Lettuce. If you don't think this is pretty, you probably don't like pretty things and that's sad. I've always loved cutting into heads of lettuce and cabbage and looking at the patterns. I'm appreciative like that.
It's coming together.
I somehow managed to forget to take a picture of the avocado and cilantro. Don't forget to put it in your salad though-- that will make me sad.
Once the corn and pineapple is cool you can add that into the bowl too, chicken too.
Now for the dressing! THIS DRESSING! It seems simple, but it totally makes this whole salad mesh into one big bowl of delight. Mix up these ingredients with a little bit of lime juice and you BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad is good to go!
Toss, eat, consume, repeat.
BBQ Chicken Chopped Salad with Roasted Corn and Pineapple
- 3 C chopped cooked chicken
- 2 to matoes diced
- ½ red onion diced
- 1 avocado diced
- ¼ C chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ head romaine lettuce chopped
- 1 16 oz. can pineapple tidbits drained
- 2 C fresh or frozen corn kernels
- olive oil salt, pepper
- 1 packet ranch dressing mix
- ½ C + 2 tbsp prepared BBQ sauce
- ½ C mayonnaise
- 1 C milk
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Preheat oven to 450°
- Spread corn and drained pineapple on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with salt, pepper, and a little drizzle of olive oil.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the corn and pineapple starts to brown and caramelize. Let cool completely.
- Combine all ingredients for salad and toss to combine.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together and drizzle over salad when serving.