I usually have jars of prepared spaghetti sauce in my pantry at all times. As much as I’d like to say I’m on top of things enough to always have bags of this amazing homemade spaghetti sauce (make it NOW, seriously.) ready to go in my freezer, I don’t. So when things get crazy around here or my motivation is severely limited, I know I can cook up some pasta, maybe some ground beef or chicken to stir in, and at least have a filling meal on the table in about 20 minutes.
This beef parmesan recipe is just a way to mix things up a little bit. It uses up that prepared spaghetti sauce you have in your pantry but is a little bit fancier and is even company-worthy. It does take just a little bit more time than cooking pasta and stirring in some sauce but the reward is worth it!
A little bit of breading gives the beef tons of flavor so dip it in a little Italian salad dressing and breadcrumb mixture and you’re set. When you’re breading meat, if you season both the meat and the breading mixture, you’re guaranteed to have a flavorful result. You can even sprinkle it with just a little salt after browning it for an extra flavor punch.
Another way to kick up the flavor is by cooking some sliced garlic in the oil that you’re going to cook the meat in. We’ll take out the garlic before cooking the meat so it doesn’t burn and stir it into the pasta at the end.
Brown those steaks up until nice and golden. They don’t have to be finished cooking as they’ll do that in the oven.
Bring out the spaghetti sauce and smother those steaks with it. A little mozzarella cheese never hurt anything either.
Throw them into the oven (make sure your skillet is oven safe) and bake for about 30 minutes or until its bubbly and the steaks are cooked through. While the steaks are cooking, boil up some pasta, drain it and stir in that reserved garlic, some butter and parmesan cheese.
- 1 1/2 lbs beef cube steak
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 C prepared italian salad dressing
- 1/2 C bread crumbs
- 1/2 C all purpose flour
- 1/2 C parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 tsp garlic salt seasoning
- 1/4 C olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, sliced
- 1-1 1/2 C prepared spaghetti sauce
- 1 C mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 lb angel hair pasta
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 C parmesan cheese
- Cut cube steak into individual portions and season with kosher salt and pepper. Combine breadcrumbs and flour with parmesan cheese and garlic salt. Dip each piece of cube steak into the italian dressing and then coat in the breadcrumb mixture. Set aside.
- Heat 2 tbsp of olive oil in a large skillet over medium high heat and cook sliced garlic in the oil until very lightly browned, remove just the garlic from pan and set aside. Brown the steaks in batches until golden brown on each side, adding more oil as needed and remove from the heat—steaks do not need to be cooked all the way through. Arrange the steaks in the skillet and pour spaghetti sauce over the top and finish with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until bubbly and the steaks are cooked through, time will vary depending on thickness of the steaks.
- While steaks are in the oven, cook pasta according to package directions and drain, saving 1 C of the starchy cooking water. Add reserved garlic, butter and parmesan cheese to hot pasta, adding the cooking water as needed to loosen it up. Serve steaks and sauce alongside the pasta.
I'd love to see how you rocked it! Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #heatherlikesfood --It will totally make my day to see it!