Forget thinking about what to make for dinner for the next 6 weeks!Get my new cookbook and meal plan!
If you’re craving a rich and creamy soup that is a snap to put together and takes under 20 minutes to make, this Instant Pot Broccoli and Four Cheese Soup is for you!
Have you jumped on the Instant Pot train yet? I bought mine last November with such good intentions on diving in, experimenting and sharing lots of recipes with you and am FINALLY doing it! The good thing about waiting a few months to start recipe creating is that I feel like I have a pretty good handle on how it works now. If you’re not familiar, an Instant Pot is an electric pressure cooker that doubles as a slow cooker, rice and yogurt maker, and more. There’s so much you can do with it and I’ve only skimmed the surface these last few months.
Be Sure to Sign Up For My Email! New Recipes Delivered Straight to You!
I’m not gonna lie, when I first unboxed my Instant Pot and started reading the manual, I felt like I was about to operate a nuclear reactor and was a little freaked that it was going to blow up in my face. BUT never fear, never fear, I promise IT WILL NOT blow up, dismember you, or otherwise a make a mess of your kitchen. It’s safe and easy and makes some of the best food ever in record breaking time.
I have lots of recipes in the works to share, but this Instant Pot Broccoli and Four Cheese Soup is one of my favorites so far! I used 4 different kinds of cheese to kick up the flavor and finished it off with some fat free half and half to make it creamy without adding extra fat.
The flavor combo of the cheeses with the broccoli that gets cooked to tender perfection in the Instant Pot is so, so good. The addition of dijon mustard is a compliment to the cheeses and the smoked paprika adds a bit of smokiness that makes you think there might bacon in it which is always a win in my book
If you don’t have an Instant Pot, this recipe is definitely make-able on the stove top– it will just take a bit more time. See the recipe notes for full instructions.
Want an Instant Pot? This is the same Instant Pot that I have and I LOVE it.
Instant Pot Broccoli with Four Cheese Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 whole small/medium onion finely diced
- 2 whole large carrots diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cup chicken or vegetable broth See Note 1
- 5-6 cup broccoli florets
- 1 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices kraft singles american cheese cut into slices (See Note 2)
- 1 cup pepper jack cheese shredded
- 1 cup colby jack cheese shredded
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese shredded
- 1 cup Fat Free Half and Half See Note 3
- Press the Saute button on the Instant Pot and add butter. When butter is melted stir in onion and carrots and cook until onion is translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and flour, and cook for 1 minute and stir in broth. Continue stirring until no flour lumps remain. Add broccoli to the pot, cover, and set Instant Pot to cook at High Pressure for 8 minutes.
- At the end of 8 minutes, do a quick release of pressure, open lid and turn off the pot. Stir in salt, paprika, dijon, dill, and pepper.
- Stir in cheeses, mixing until fully melted and stir in half and half just before serving.
2. I use 4 different kinds of cheese to kick up the flavor, but if you only have one or two, use what you have! Sharp cheddar is great because of it's strong flavor, but most melting cheese will work-- you'll just a little different flavor profile. Make it your own!
3. Fat-Free Half and Half can be a little finicky and has the tendency to curdle when overheated. I've found that Land O' Lakes Brand is the least likely to curdle for whatever reason and it tastes great too. And by all means, if you want to use full-fat cream or half and half, do it! It will just make your soup that much better!
4. To Make on The Stove Top: Follow steps 1 and 2 and then bring to a simmer and cook until the broccoli is very tender-- about 30 minutes. Remove pot from the heat and stir in spices, herbs, cheese and half and half to serve.