Have an Instant Pot? Need recipes that are thoroughly tested and WORK?Get my new cookbook collection for 40% OFF!
Zesty breakfast burritos don’t have to dirty every pan in the cupboard to be a reality! With a little bit of trickery you can have burritos ready to eat while only dirtying one pan!
I lurrrve breakfast burritos.
There’s this little mexican restaurant right around the corner from my house that makes THE BEST breakfast burritos. Not only do they taste really good, they are huge and cheap! Win-win-win! However, many cheap burritos turn into a not-so-cheap habit if you’re not careful so I’ve had to resort to making them at home.
But here’s the problem– breakfast burritos have a lot of different elements to them which means lots of dishes.
So I came up with a way that reduced that mess into a single pan, didn’t keep me standing over the stovetop monitoring it all and still left me with an amount of filling that is enough to feed my entire family BIG burritos. Let’s get started!
First up: the meat. You can use any breakfast meat you’d like for this recipe. Just get it cooked up the way you’d like in a large skillet and set aside when you’re done. I used regular breakfast sausage so I put it on some paper towels to drain off the excess fat.
Depending on the type of meat you’re cooking you’ll probably end up with some amount of fat in the bottom of your skillet. Pour off all but a tablespoon or two and if you need to add a little in because your meat was lean, pour in a little bit of oil at this point. Put the skillet back on the heat and get the fat nice and hot.
For potatoes, I like to use O’Brien style frozen potatoes because they have onions and peppers in them and that just ups the flavor a little bit for burritos.
Pour your potatoes into the hot fat and cook for 1 minute without stirring. Sprinkle 1/2 tsp salt over the top of the potatoes and transfer the skillet into a 450 degree oven for about 20-25 minutes or until the potatoes are cooked through and the bottoms are a little browned.
While the potatoes are cooking you’ll mix up your eggs. I like to use water when I’m making scrambled eggs because the eggs don’t brown as quickly as they do when using milk due to the milk solids, etc. But use what you like.
Eggs, water, a can of chopped green chiles, and a little bit of salt are all you need.
Once the potatoes are done, slide the oven rack out and pour the eggs right over the potatoes. DON’T STIR. Just slide the pan back into the oven and let cook for 10 minutes.
After 10 minutes you’ll give the eggs and potatoes a stir and continue to cook an additional 3-8 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking.
Take the skillet out of the oven and stir your meat back into the pan. The eggs and potatoes will be hot enough to warm the meat back up.
All that’s left to do is to make your burritos! Warm tortillas, salsa, cheese, and whatever else your little heart desires.
One Pan Breakfast Burrito Bake
- 1 pound breakfast sausage
- 28 ounces frozen O'Brian Potatoes with Onions and Peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 eggs
- 4 ounces diced green chiles
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 450 Degrees
- In a large skillet, brown and crumble sausage until fully cooked. Remove from pan and set aside on paper towels to drain off excess fat.
- Return skillet to the stove top and heat up any remaining drippings from the sausage. Pour potatoes into the pan, season with ½ tsp salt, let cook for 1 minute and transfer into the oven. Bake for 20-25 minutes (uncovered) or until potatoes are tender and browned on the bottom.
- While potatoes are cooking, beat eggs well with green chiles, ½ tsp salt and water.
- When potatoes are cooked, open the oven, slide the skillet out on the rack, and pour eggs over the potatoes. Cook for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes stir the eggs and potatoes well and continue to cook for an additional 3-8 minutes or until the eggs are cooked to your liking. Remove from oven.
- Return sausage to the skillet and stir to combine and heat sausage.
- Spoon mixture into warm tortillas, top with cheese and enjoy!