Toffee Bars- Brimming with chocolate and sweet and sticky sweetened condensed milk, they are the perfect complement to a tall glass of milk or cup of tea. Crunchy, creamy, sweet and salty... they basically have it all.
I figure it's about time I give all you sugar addicts a little love here on HLF. I definitely like to focus on easy and flavorful meals, but every once in a while I need some goodies in my life-- hence these toffee bars. Please forgive the awful lighting in these pics. Even though I made these in the middle of the day, the lighting is my kitchen is akin to what cave lighting is like. Fortunately (also unfortunately) we're moving next week and I'll have a window(!) and a sliding glass door in my kitchen. Woot woot!
For the base of these toffee bars, we're making a sort of cookie that is super crispy and tastes a lot like toffee. When you're mixing the dough it will look and feel just like cookie dough. Press it into a 9x13" pan and bake for 20-25 minutes or until it's golden brown.
When you take it out of the oven it will look craggy and kind of weird, but that's what you want.
While the base is cooling, pour a can of sweetened condensed milk into a small saucepan with 2 tablespoon of butter.
Cook over medium heat and stir it the whole time. It usually takes about 6-8 minutes. You want the milk to thicken up just a bit and you'll be able to tell when it's done. It's likely that you'll end up with little bits of caramelized milk throughout it from stirring up the layer from the bottom of the pan and that's okay.
Spread the milk over the cookie base and put back into the oven until the milk is just lightly golden brown.
It will look a little something like this...
From here you'll immediately sprinkle milk chocolate chips over the milk layer and put back into the oven until they are shiny. Spread out the melted chocolate chips and top with some chopped up heath bars.
The hardest part of making these toffee bars is waiting what seems like FORRRREEVVVER for them to cool. If you try to cut into them before the chocolate has set you'll be asking for trouble. Sweet and messy trouble.
- ¾ cup butter softened
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 10 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups milk chocolate chips
- 4 whole heath bars chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cream together butter, sugar and flour until is resembles cookie dough. Press evenly into a 9x13" pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until golden brown. It will look craggy, and that's OK!
- While the base is cooling, pour milk into a small saucepan and stir in 2 tablespoon of butter. Cook, stirring constantly, until slightly thickened. It's okay if little bits of the milk caramelize on the pan and get scraped back into the mixture by stirring. It's all going to get caramelized eventually.
- Once thickened, pour and spread over the cookie base. Bake for an additional 10-15 minutes or until milk is light golden brown.
- Remove pan from oven and immediately sprinkle chocolate chips over the milk layer. Return to the oven for just a few minutes to melt the chips-- they will look shiny when ready. Remove pan from the oven and spread the melted chocolate evenly over the milk layer.
- Sprinkle chopped Heath bars over the chocolate and allow to cool completely before slicing.