No more store bought, gloopy, overly sweet macaroni salad! This recipe is the perfect side for grilled chicken, burgers, and sandwiches. With a few pantry staples and a handful of fresh ingredients, this salad comes together quickly and simply and is my go-to recipe anytime I get a hankerin’ for a starchy side.
You know those pre-made deli salads you can buy in the refrigerated section? The ones that sometimes come in cardboard milk jug-type boxes? Yeah, those. Well, I think they are an abomination to the world of salads. A homemade potato or macaroni salad can be a wonderful, wonderful thing full of flavor and texture. But these boxed varieties just ruin it for everyone.
Just imagine if one had based their views on potato salad based on what they experience from a box!
“Nah, I don’t like potato salad”, they say. “Macaroni Salad is gross”, they say. Just think about what they are missing out on!
That’s why I’m divulging my macaroni salad recipe today. Let’s get started! I’m not a big fan of super sweet macaroni salad, and this one fits the bill. Instead of sweetness, we’re dialing up the flavor with diced olives, pimentos, and green onions.
Add some mayo, salt and pepper to the mix and you’ve got some pretty darn good dressing. I’m always tempted to add a little milk and lemon juice and throw it in the blender to make a smooth salad dressing…
From here you just fold in the cooked macaroni and chopped egg until it’s all mixed up. That’s it!
Now please, please promise me you’ll never waste calories on packaged macaroni salad again. Can you do that?
Want More Delicious Picnic Salad Recipes?
Picnic Macaroni Salad
- 1 pounds elbow macaroni
- 4 ounces canned chopped black olives
- 4 ounces chopped pimentos drained
- 1 bunch green onions chopped
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 7 whole hard boiled eggs peeled and chopped
- Cook elbow macaroni according to package directions, drain and run under cold water to chill. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine olives, pimentos, onions, mayo, salt and pepper. Stir until smooth.
- Fold in cooked and chilled macaroni and chopped egg. Cover and allow to chill for 1 hour before serving.