Have an Instant Pot? Need recipes that are thoroughly tested and WORK?Get my new cookbook collection for 40% OFF!
Sweet and Tangy, this broccoli salad is filled with bacon, cheese, onion, sunflower seeds, currants, and a creamy dressing that makes it the perfect side dish for grilled meats, sandwiches or just about anything.
Sooo, I have a thing for sweet and sour things, and I think that’s why I love this broccoli salad so much. I know broccoli salad is a classic, and I’ve seen it at every church potluck I’ve ever gone to, but I always saw the raisins in it and assumed I wouldn’t like it, so I never tried it.
Then, I realized there was bacon in it, and it can’t be THAT bad with bacon, right? RIGHT! So I gave it a go, and I’m never going back. This cold broccoli salad is seriously soo good. The Broccoli is nice and crunchy, the cheese adds some creaminess and bite, and the bacon adds the heaven element. And that dressing?? Get outta’ here. 🙂
How to Make Broccoli Salad
Sweet Broccoli Salad is a combination of fresh broccoli florets, crispy cooked bacon, sweet red onion, sharp cheddar cheese, dried currants, sunflower seeds and a sweet and tangy dressing that is simple to prepare. Just toss the salad ingredients with the salad dressing, and you have a pretty incredible salad.
Tips for Making the BEST Broccoli Salad
- Use FRESH Broccoli —the fresher the broccoli, the more crisp and fresh your salad will be!
- Get creative with mix-ins — This salad can really be customized to your tastes. Add different cheese, nuts, dried fruits, and fresh veggies to make it your own!
- Add the bacon just before serving— I’m a sucker for crispy bacon, so I like to wait to add it until just before serving this sweet broccoli salad.
Can Cold Broccoli Salad Be Made Ahead?
Yes! In fact, it’s best when made a day in advance before serving. This time gives the flavors of the salad to really meld together and create magic! It stores well too since the broccoli is nice and sturdy and won’t get soggy.
What Are Dried Currants?
I ended up making this Sweet Broccoli Salad with dried currants instead of raisins to try to cut down on the “I’m-a-giant-dressing-soaked-raisin-and-I-look-a-little-gross” factor. They add the perfect amount of sweetness to the salad, and you can sound all gourmet when people ask you what they are! If you’re not familiar with dried currants, they are found in the grocery store right next to the raisins and taste about the same but are about a quarter of the size of a raisin.
Want more crazy-good salad recipes?
Sweet Broccoli Salad
- 3 fresh broccoli crowns cut into bite-sized florets
- 8 slices bacon cooked until crispy and diced
- ½ cup sweet red onion diced
- ¼ cup dried currants
- ¼ cup salted sunflower seeds
- 6 ounces sharp cheddar cheese cut into small cubes
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt black pepper to taste
- Place broccoli in a large bowl. Add the bacon, onion, currants, sunflower seeds and cheese.
- In a small bowl combine the mayonnaise, vinegar, sugar, salt, and pepper and stir well.
- Add dressing to broccoli mixture and toss gently. Serve immediately. If you want to make-ahead, all the ingredients can be combined except the bacon. Keep it separate and add it just before serving so it stays crisp!