Forget thinking about what to make for dinner for the next 6 weeks!Get my new cookbook and meal plan!
7 ingredients, one pan, and a whole lotta flavor! People won’t believe how quick and easy this chili is to throw together when they taste it… but you’ll know! Take all that extra time you’ll have and take a nap. I’m pretty sure you need a nap. 🙂
It’s the beginning of September and I’m all like “Heeeeellllooooo Soup making weather!”. I think I’m on my 3rd soup making venture this week. Not even kidding. But that’s okay because that means that I get to share with you THE best quick chili recipe ever today.
There’s not a whole lot that beats a big bowl of warm chili on a cold day and this recipe is always on rotation during the winter months. And when it comes to chili, I usually want it dotted with big chunks of slow-cooked beef and simmered for hours on end (like this one), unless it’s this 30 minute chili. You guys, you won’t believe how much flavor this has and how easy it is to throw together!
To start out, you’ll brown 1 1/2 lbs of hamburger with some sweet onion. When it’s cooked, drain off the fat and season it up a bit with chili powder and salt.
Then, you’ll dump a can of chili beans, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, and 2 cans of fire roasted green chilies. Don’t let the amount of green chilies scare you. They are very mild and give it such good flavor.
Give it all a stir and let simmer for 20-25 minutes (or longer) to let the flavors marry. The longer it simmers, the better but 25 minutes is just about right for a quick dinner and it tastes great at that point.
When you’re ready to eat it’s great served by itself with all the usual chili toppings and corn bread, ladled over potatoes or hot dogs, or even served on top of spaghetti. Have you ever had chili spaghetti? I was a skeptic until I tried it and now I’m sold.
Amazing 30 Minute Chili
- 1 1/2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1/2 whole large sweet onion chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 14.5 ounces chili beans undrained
- 14.5 ounces stewed tomatoes undrained
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 14 ounces fire roasted canned diced green chilies
- In a large skillet brown hamburger and onions over medium heat until beef is cooked through. Drain off fat and return to pan on stove.
- Season meat with salt and chili powder and cook, stirring for about 1 minute or until fragrant.
- Add chili beans, tomatoes, tomato sauce and chilies to the beef mixture.
- Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a low simmer. Cook, uncovered for 20 -25 minutes to allow flavors to blend and to thicken slightly. Serve with favorite chili toppings.