Have an Instant Pot? Need recipes that are thoroughly tested and WORK?Get my new cookbook collection for 40% OFF!
This Bisquick cornbread is the best cornbread recipe I’ve ever tried. It’s sweet, light, fluffy and super easy to make! A perfect accompaniment to a big bowl of chili!
The BEST Cornbread Recipe
This Bisquick cornbread is by far, the best cornbread recipe I have tasted. It’s a cornbread recipe my mom gave me years ago and I’ve been making it with every pot of my favorite chili, soup, and BBQ ever since. I’m not sure where she got it, but the trick is using Bisquick biscuit mix as a base to the bread. Not only does it make the recipe an easy one, it makes cornbread that is fluffy. rich, and totally finger-licking! I like it so much I’ve even used it to top my BBQ Chicken Corn Bread Pie and Tamale Pie.
How to Make Bisquick Corn Bread
This is one of those “dump and stir” recipes that is super simple and easy. Just measure out all of the ingredients into a bowl, stir until just combined, pour into a buttered cast iron skillet or baking dish and bake! Easy peasy.
Tips for Making the Best Bisquick Cornbread
- Use “real” Bisquick. I haven’t tested this recipe with off-brand biscuit mix, and while it might work just fine, I’d stick with the real stuff.
- Don’t over mix! Cornbread is a quick bread, meaning it is leavened with baking soda or powder instead of yeast. Quick bread typically has a tender crumb and is prone to over mixing, causing the bread to be very dense with little tunnels running through it. Not what you want! To avoid over mixing, stir just until all the ingredients are combined and no dry spots remain. No need to beat it into submission! 🙂
- Butter/grease your baking dish well! I love to make my Bisquick cornbread in a cast iron skillet because it creates a nice crispy crust on the bottom and just looks pretty. But you can definitely use an 8″x 8″ baking dish or cake pan if you’d like. Just make sure to butter/grease it well so it comes out of the pan with no problem.
Can I Make Muffins with this Bisquick Cornbread Recipe?
Absolutely! Cornbread muffins are great! I suggest using cupcake/muffin liners to make the muffins as this is a sweet cornbread and might want to stick to the pan. Nobody wants stuck muffins!
Can I Make Bisquick Cornbread with Creamed Corn like my Mom’s cornbread recipe?
Creamed corn is an excellent addition to cornbread but with this recipe, adding creamed corn makes a very soft bread that is more similar to corn casserole. It is absolutely delicious (just add a can of creamed corn to the recipe and continue with the recipe’s directions), but it doesn’t have the same texture as typical cornbread.
Here are some add-in ideas that mix right in and keep the cornbread sturdy:
- Fresh or frozen corn kernels
- Pepperjack Cheese
- Cheddar Cheese
- Canned green chiles, drained
- Cooked, crumbled bacon
Can I Make Bisquick Corn Bread without Cornmeal?
In short, no. Cornbread is called cornbread because it has corn in it! The cornmeal in this Bisquick Cornbread recipe not only brings the “corn factor”, but gives the finished bread it’s texture and sturdiness.
- 2 cups Bisquick baking mix
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add eggs, water, and butter and whisk until just combined and no dry spots remain. There’s no need to get the lumps out, over mixing will make your cornbread dry and tough.
- Pour batter into a greased 8×8 pan or 10" cast iron skillet and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown on top. A toothpick should come out clean when inserted in the middle when done.