When life hands you an extra loaf of garlic bread because your amazing hubby thought that your little family of 4 would be able to eat 2 whole loaves with your Mother’s Day meal on Sunday, what do you do? Make garlic bread pizza! Or at least that’s what I did.
You can start with either a pre-made loaf of garlic bread from the grocery store bakery or make your own garlic butter and smather it on a loaf of french bread.
Once your loaf is nicely buttered, don’t put in the oven just yet but top with shredded mozzarella cheese, cooked chicken, and crumbled bacon. You can actually go all sorts of directions with this and top with tomato sauce and other traditional pizza toppings. I like the simplicity of the garlic butter with the chicken and bacon here so I opted to go sans the sauce. For bacon, I like to keep a bag of the precooked bacon crumbles from Costco in my fridge to throw into salads, eggs, etc.
Tomatoes and some fresh chives finish it off. Sliced green onions would also be great on this but I have a ridiculous amount of chives growing in my garden right now and they’re making their way into just about everything lately.
Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and then broil for a minute or two until it’s bubbly and lightly browned.
- 1 loaf of garlic bread, unbaked
- 1 1/2 C mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 C cooked chicken, diced
- 3-4 tbsp crumbled and cooked bacon
- 1/2 C fresh tomatoes, diced
- 2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- Top buttered side of garlic bread with cheese, chicken, bacon, tomato and chives.
- Bake at 350 for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted. Turn oven to broil and cook for an additional 1-2 minutes or until lightly browned.
by Heather Cheney
I'd love to see how you rocked it! Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #heatherlikesfood --It will totally make my day to see it!