This loaded Vegetable Diet Soup is, like the name, loaded with veggies and good-for-you fiber like kidney beans and barley. It’s low in calories and super filling, making it my go-to lunch when I’m watching what I’m eating.
Loaded Vegetable Diet Soup– I mentioned in my last post that I’ve lost 11 lbs in the past 3 weeks and I’m pretty excited about it. This is the first time since having babies that I’ve had success with diet and exercise. Previously, every time I’d try to lose some of the baby weight I’d have a really good first week, lose motivation, and be frustrated a week later. No good.
This time has been different because I’m actually doing it with a group of friend and we’re able to keep each other in check and on track. The accountability has been huge for me! Aside from that I’ve cut out all refined sugars and flours, upped the fruit, veggies, and water intake, and am exercising 6 days a week. It probably sounds a little harsh, but so far it’s worked! I don’t intend on this being a permanent, everyday change for me but I figure I can do it for 8 weeks, lose some weight, maintain for a bit and hit it again until I’m down to where I want to be! Woot woot!
MY LATEST VIDEOS
This “diet soup” has been a staple for me the past few weeks and I’m not sick of it yet! Its FULL of vegetables and has the addition of kidney beans and barely so that it keeps you full and satisfied. It’s been my go-to lunch when I’m not in the mood for salad and want something hot and comforting. And since a single cup (8 oz) is only 80 calories you can eat until you’re full and stay full! Yay!
If there’s interest, I may do a post on the specifics of what I’m doing and eating to lose weight. Let me know what you think!
Want more easy soup recipes?
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Slow Cooker Green Salsa Soup
- Roasted Tomato, Corn and Zucchini Soup
- Cauliflower Chowder
- Roasted Butternut Squash Soup with Bacon
Loaded Vegetable Diet Soup
- 1 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 whole medium onion chopped
- 8 ounces white mushrooms
- 3 whole stalks celery chopped
- 2 whole small carrots peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups low-sodium V8 or tomato juice
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 14.5 ounces Italian Seasoned Diced Tomatoes Undrained
- 14.5 ounces kidney beans drained
- 2 whole medium zucchini chopped
- 2 cups fresh or frozen green beans cut
- 1/4 cup pearl barley
- hot sauce to taste-- I use 1 teaspoon
- Saute onion, mushrooms, carrots, and celery in olive oil and salt until the vegetables are just tender.
- Stir in garlic, Italian seasoning, V8, chicken broth, tomatoes, kidney beans, zucchini, green beans and pearl barley and bring to a simmer.
- Cook at a low simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the barley and all the veggies are tender. Season to taste with hot sauce and serve with grated parmesan cheese.