So I’ve done it, I’ve officially gone off the deep end. I’m doing Whole 30. Never, ever, EVER in my life would I have thought that I would purposely refrain from eating 2 major food groups (grains and dairy) and shun sugar for a full month. But alas, I’m on the train to crazy town and I don’t hate it… yet.
I’m only on day 10 and but I’m 1/3 of way done and I think I’m going to stick it out this time! Woot woot! I am missing cheese and if someone rubbed a baguette under my nose right now I might punch them in the face. But I’ve got this.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
Today’s recipe is a great, easy way to get a little more protein into your life. It’s a full flavored pork roast rubbed with cumin and left to simmer in a tomato-y sauce all day. The meat ends up tender, shredded and perfect for topping rice, a salad or just on its own.
We’ll start with a pork sirloin roast, seasoned with salt, pepper and cumin and browned until golden brown on the stovetop. From there you’ll plop it into the slow cooker and cover it with a sliced onion.
In the same pan that the roast was browned in, simmer a can of italian diced tomatoes with a cup of your favorite salsa. You’ll then toss in a little more cumin and give it a stir.
Pour the sauce over the roast, cover the slow cooker and walk away until its tender and juicy and makes your house smell amazing.
Once it’s cooked you can leave the sauce as is, but you’ll take it to a whole new level if you remove the roast and pour the sauce into a pan to reduce and thicken. The flavors intensify and really bring the dish to life.
On a side note, if you’re interested in doing some sort of a diet change but aren’t ready to jump full into a Whole 30, the Beef Council (I know this post is all about pork and is totally not sponsored) is hosting a 30 day protein challenge. The challenge just encourages you to up your protein intake and they have a step by step plan that might be a good spring board for change. Check it out here.
Have a great weekend!
Slow Cooker Cumin Roasted Pork
- 2 pounds pork sirloin roast
- kosher salt, pepper, and cumin
- 2-3 tablespoons oil l I used coconut
- 14.5 ounces Italian Seasoned Diced Tomatoes
- 1 cup favorite prepared salsa
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 whole yellow onion sliced
- Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Season roast generously with salt, pepper, and cumin on all sides. Place roast in hot skillet and sear until golden brown on all sides. Place roast in slow cooker.
- In the same pan used to sear the meat, cook tomatoes and salsa over medium heat, scraping the bottom of the pan to get all the browned bits off of the bottom of the pan. Bring to a simmer and stir in the cumin. Remove from heat.
- Sprinkle the sliced onions over the roast in the slow cooker and pour the sauce into pot. Cover and let cook for 7-8 hours on low or 4-6 on high. Roast is done when its tender and shreds easily with a fork.