This is definitely the ultimate rice crispy treat recipe! It’s perfectly soft and chewy with an irresistible layer of marshmallow cream that makes them far from ordinary.
Ultimate Rice Crispy Treat Recipe
This ultimate rice crispy treat recipe might be the reason my jeans don’t fit too well anymore. My kiddos love them and I always think I’ll be able to control myself when I make a batch but it turns out I have absolutely zero self-control when it comes to marshmallow cream. ZERO.
Meaning I only make these when I know I’ll be making them for other people, far, far away from my chubby face.
How to Make Rice Crispy Treats With Marshmallow Cream
The trick to making this the absolute bestest, most ULTIMATE RICE CRISPY TREAT recipe ever is two-fold– First, don’t overcook the marshmallow and second, hide a layer of marshmallow cream in the center for a gooey surprise.
You might worry that the extra layer of marshmallow fluff will make them fall apart, but never fear! These ultimate rice crispy treats set up beautifully and cut into perfectly stable squares once set.
Tips For Rice Crispy Treats with Marshmallow Fluff:
- Like I mentioned above, DO NOT overcook the marshmallow. In fact, you don’t want to “cook” the marshmallow at all, just barely melt it. Marshmallows are sugar and when you cook sugar, what happens? It hardens! Cooked sugar and soft and chewy rice crispy treats just aren’t friends.
- I love leaving a few whole mini marshmallows in my rice crispy treats for added fun. To do this, melt the first portion of marshmallows + butter, add the cereal and then add in another cup of marshmallows. Adding them last will keep them from melting and will leave you with little pillowy sweet morsels studding your treats.
- Wet your hands just slightly to press the treats into the pan. Doing this keeps the mixture from sticking to your hands and is much easier to clean off your hands than cooking spray or shortening.
- MIX-INS! This ultimate rice crispy treat recipe can be adapted any way you want! Chocolate chips, sprinkles, nuts, candy, food coloring, etc. I suggest adding any mix-ins at the same time you add the second portion of marshmallow to keep them from melting/getting crushed/color running. The only exception to this would be the food coloring or anything you want to stir directly into the marshmallow mixture.
Want More Easy Desserts?
- Reese’s Peanut Butter Popcorn
- Raspberry Oreo Fluff
- Easy Black Forrest Cake
- Rocky Road Rice Crispy Treats
Tools Used for Ultimate Rice Crispy Treats:
- Pyrex Easy Grab Pan: I love these pyrex pans because of the big handles. It makes them so much easier to pull out of a hot oven and also easier to wrap with foil or plastic wrap.
- Get It Right Silicone Spatulas: I have waaaaay too many of these spatulas floating around in my kitchen but I just love them! They are heat-resistance and can be used for both baking and cooking so they are basically my go-to kitchen tool. I love that they come in lots of vibrant colors and are easy to clean. Most of the spatulas I have are at least 4 years old and still look new!
Ultimate Rice Crispy Treat Recipe
- 1/2 cup salted butter
- 9 cups mini marshmallows 16 oz, divided
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 cups crisp rice cereal
- 7 ounce Jar Marshmallow cream
- Combine butter and 8 cups marshmallows in a microwave-safe bowl. Cook for 1- 2 minutes or until the butter and marshmallow are just melted, no longer.
- Stir in vanilla extract.
- Add cereal and stir, followed by the remaining 1 cup of marshmallows. Continue to stir until the cereal is well coated.
- Grease a 9x13" pan and spread ½ of the cereal mixture into the pan, pressing with just barely wet hands to make it easier.
- Place spoonfuls of the marshmallow cream over the entire top of the layer of cereal and spread to cover.
- Press remaining cereal mixture over the marshmallow cream and press into an even layer.
- Let cool and set for about an hour before cutting.