I'm a HUGE fan of rice crispy treats and I usually shy away from the "dressed up" versions and stick to my tried and true basic recipe. (<--- omigosh, guys if you haven't tried these yet, do it! Best. Treats. Ever.) But I'm kind of a sucker for big chunks of marshmallow and when they are mixed in with chocolate, that's even better. AND it just so happens that Rocky Road ice cream is on at least one of my many top ten list, so it makes sense that I like these. A lot.
I decided to skip out on the almonds this time around (I was out!) , but if you use them they make the whole experience a little more crunchy and, well, nutty. Obviously.
They couldn't be any easier to throw together because to make them the perfect amount of fudgy, we're just going to use a box of instant pudding mix. Doing this gives them that rich chocolate flavor AND keeps them moist.
Once the pudding is mixed into the marshmallows, the mixture can become kind of thick so we'll add in 2 tbsp of water to thin it out a bit. It's going to look like you totally ruined it, but just keep stirring and it will all come together-- promise!
Who's ready for a square??
Rocky Road Rice Crispy Treats
- 6 cups mini marshmallows divided
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoon hot water
- 1 3.4oz box chocolate fudge instant pudding mix
- 6 cup crisp rice cereal
- ½-1 cup toasted almonds optional
- Grease a 8"x8" glass baking dish and set aside.
- In a microwaveable bowl, warm 4 cups marshmallows and butter in the microwave about 1½ minutes, stirring in 30 second intervals until the marshmallows are fully melted. Stir in pudding mix and water and mix until well combined.
- Stir cereal, remaining 2 C of marshmallows and almonds into the marshmallow mixture, folding until all the cereal is coated.
- Transfer into greased baking dish, pressing down lightly into pan until level. Refrigerate until chilled and slice into squares.
Erin @ Mouthful says
I'm ready for a square, Heather!!! These are so stinkin' cute! (and I bet they taste delicious, too!)
Heather Cheney says
You pretty much just need to make these, Erin! 🙂
Stephanie @ Macaroni and Cheesecake says
Oh wow!! These look amazing!! Love that you used the pudding to add in the chocolate flavor, great idea!
Heather Cheney says
Thanks Stephanie! The pudding makes them soo rich and gooey!