This Easy Mexican Rice Recipe is super simple to make and takes only a few ingredients. It’s the perfect, easy side to serve with so many different Mexican entrees’.
Hey everyone! Today I’m sharing this post I wrote for The Salty Marshmallow a few weeks ago on Spanish Rice. It’s seriously simple and I love making it.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
I love rice in all its many forms, but Mexican Rice might take the cake for being my favorite. This recipe will give you results just like you find at your favorite Mexican restaurant and gets made at my house frequently!
Why This Recipe Works
This Mexican Rice is super easy to make (most rice is!), but the key to flavorful rice like this recipe provides is to toast the rice prior to cooking. This does two things– it gives the rice a slightly nutty flavor, and dries out the grain of rice to reduce cooking time and make a fluffier end product.
How to Make Easy Mexican Rice
This recipe makes about eight servings of rice, and it’s best to cook it in a non-stick, high-sided skillet, like the one pictured above.
- Heat a few tablespoons of neutral oil like canola or vegetable in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- When hot, add the rice to the pan and stir.
- Continue stirring until all the grains turn opaque and then golden brown.
- Heat water until boiling in the microwave and whisk tomato paste and chicken broth base.
- Pour hot water mixture into the browned rice and stir in salt, cumin and garlic powder. Bring to a boil.
- Cover pan, reduce heat to low and cook for 25-3o minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is fully absorbed.
What Is The Difference Between Spanish Rice and Mexican Rice?
Spanish and Mexican rice are pretty similar– they both use toasted rice with a tomato-based cooking liquid. The difference between the two is that traditionally, the Spanish version was seasoned with saffron threads, while the Mexican version was flavored with cumin.
However, today the two names are pretty much used interchangeably.
What Goes Well With Mexican Rice?
This rice is a great side dish because it is mildly spiced and goes with just about anything with Mexican-inspired flavors.This Sour Cream Chicken Enchiladas Skillet, or Tacos or Burritos made with my Taco Meat are both great choices!
What Kind of Rice is Best for Mexican Rice?
I like to use long-grain white rice. It has a lower starch content than other, shorter-grained rice, and turns out nice and fluffy every time! Especially when you toast it first!
If you make this Easy Mexican Rice Recipe I’d love to hear it! Let me know in the comments below or tag me on Instagram! @heatherlikesfood
Easy Mexican Rice Recipe
- 2 tablespoons canola or vegetable oil
- 2 cups long-grain white rice
- 4 1/4 cups water boiling
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons chicken broth base or 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- When the oil is hot, add the rice to the pan and stir. Continue stirring until all the grains turn opaque and then golden brown.
- Heat water until boiling in the microwave and whisk in tomato paste and chicken broth base.
- Pour hot water mixture into the browned rice and stir in salt, cumin and garlic powder.
- Bring the pan to a boil, cover and reduce heat to low. Cook for 25-30 minutes or until the rice is tender and the liquid is fully absorbed.
- Top with chopped fresh cilantro, if desired, and serve.
Other Mexican Inspired Recipes You Might Like
Other Popular Recipes People Really Like