Ranchers Roast Beef
*This recipe was first published October 2012*
Last week during the Ninja Cooking System giveaway I asked what your favorite meal to make in the crock pot was, and of all the 700+ comments, roast beef won hands down! It looks like ya’ll dig yourself some slow-cooked beef goodness! So yes, I thought I’d come to you today with another roast beef recipe to try out.
This roast is a little different from your typical meat-and-potatoes-and-carrots-Sunday-supper. It’s a pot roast flavored with ranch dressing mix, zingy pepperoncini and then topped with a sour cream-spiked gravy. Intrigued yet? You should be.
How to Make Ranchers Roast Beef in Crock Pot
You’ll start with a 2-3 lb beef chuck roast by seasoning it with salt and pepper and then searing until nice and golden brown in a little bit of canola oil.
Sprinkle the roast with either one packet of ranch dressing mix, or 1 tablespoon of my homemade version-recipe here. Either one makes a tasty ranchers roast beef, but I truly do prefer the homemade to the store-bought, just sayin’. Sprinkle with ½ cup of sliced pepperoncini, followed by a ¼ cup of the pepperoncini juice and two tablespoons of butter cut into small pieces.
Set your crock pot to cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3 ½ -4 or until the ranch pot roast is fork-tender. Remove meat from pot and drain off cooking juices into a saucepan, skimming the top for excess fat.
How to Make Sour Cream Gravy for Ranchers Roast Beef
Add 2 cups of beef broth to the juices and bring to a boil. Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with ¼ cup of COLD water and slowly pour into the boiling broth mixture. Stir continuously until thickened and remove from heat. Stir ½ cup of sour cream into the thickened broth and serve over the cooked meat.
This recipe is easy, delicious, and perfect for a brisk fall night with mashed potatoes or rice!
Want more Easy Beef Recipes?
- Zesty Instant Pot Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
- Beef Parmesan with Garlic Parmesan Pasta
- Saucy Slow-Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches
Tools Used in Making Ranchers Roast Beef
- Ninja 3-in-1 Cooking System: I’ve owned this slow cooker for about six years (when they were first introduced), and I still love it. The stovetop feature allows me to sear and cook meats before allowing them to slow cook (fewer dishes) and there’s a bake feature as well.
- OXO Mini Whisk: Sometimes you just need more than a fork to mix up small amounts! I love this whisk because it’s the perfect size to mix in small bowls, cups or even saucepans. It’s perfect for making gravy!
Crock-Pot Rancher’s Roast Beef
- 1, 2-3 pound beef chuck roast
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- .4 ounce ounce packet ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini
- 1/4 cup pepperoncini juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup sour cream
Heat canola oil over med-high heat. Season roast with salt and sear in hot oil until golden brown.
Place roast in crock pot and sprinkle with dressing mix, pepperoncinis, pepperoncini juice, and dot with butter.
Cook in crock pot on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3 ½ -4 or until the roast is fork-tender. Remove meat from pot and drain off cooking juices into a sauce pan, skimming the top for excess fat. Add 2 cups of beef broth to the juices and bring to a boil.
Mix 1 tbsp of corn starch with ¼ C of COLD water and slowly pour into the boiling broth mixture. Stir continuously until thickened and remove from heat. Stir in ½ cup of sour cream into the thickened broth and serve over the cooked meat.