Ranchers Roast Beef
*This recipe was first published October 2012*
Last week during the Ninja Cooking System giveaway I asked what your favorite meal to make in the crock pot was, and of all the 700+ comments, roast beef won hands down! It looks like ya’ll dig yourself some slow-cooked beef goodness! So yes, I thought I’d come to you today with another roast beef recipe to try out.
MY LATEST VIDEOS
This roast is a little different from your typical meat-and-potatoes-and-carrots-Sunday-supper. It’s a pot roast flavored with ranch dressing mix, zingy pepperoncini and then topped with a sour cream-spiked gravy. Intrigued yet? You should be.
How to Make Ranchers Roast Beef in Crock Pot
You’ll start with a 2-3 lb beef chuck roast by seasoning it with salt and pepper and then searing until nice and golden brown in a little bit of canola oil.
Sprinkle the roast with either one packet of ranch dressing mix, or 1 tablespoon of my homemade version-recipe here. Either one makes a tasty ranchers roast beef, but I truly do prefer the homemade to the store-bought, just sayin’. Sprinkle with ½ cup of sliced pepperoncini, followed by a ¼ cup of the pepperoncini juice and two tablespoons of butter cut into small pieces.
Set your crock pot to cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3 ½ -4 or until the ranch pot roast is fork-tender. Remove meat from pot and drain off cooking juices into a saucepan, skimming the top for excess fat.
How to Make Sour Cream Gravy for Ranchers Roast Beef
Add 2 cups of beef broth to the juices and bring to a boil. Mix 1 tablespoon cornstarch with ¼ cup of COLD water and slowly pour into the boiling broth mixture. Stir continuously until thickened and remove from heat. Stir ½ cup of sour cream into the thickened broth and serve over the cooked meat.
This recipe is easy, delicious, and perfect for a brisk fall night with mashed potatoes or rice!
Want more Easy Beef Recipes?
- Zesty Instant Pot Homemade Vegetable Beef Soup
- Beef Parmesan with Garlic Parmesan Pasta
- Saucy Slow-Cooker BBQ Beef Sandwiches
- Braised Beef Short Ribs
Tools Used in Making Ranchers Roast Beef
- Ninja 3-in-1 Cooking System: I’ve owned this slow cooker for about six years (when they were first introduced), and I still love it. The stovetop feature allows me to sear and cook meats before allowing them to slow cook (fewer dishes) and there’s a bake feature as well.
- OXO Mini Whisk: Sometimes you just need more than a fork to mix up small amounts! I love this whisk because it’s the perfect size to mix in small bowls, cups or even saucepans. It’s perfect for making gravy!
Crock-Pot Rancher’s Roast Beef
- 1, 2-3 pound beef chuck roast
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- .4 ounce ounce packet ranch dressing mix
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoncini
- 1/4 cup pepperoncini juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Heat canola oil over med-high heat. Season roast with salt and sear in hot oil until golden brown.
- Place roast in crock pot and sprinkle with dressing mix, pepperoncinis, pepperoncini juice, and dot with butter.
- Cook in crock pot on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3 ½ -4 or until the roast is fork-tender. Remove meat from pot and drain off cooking juices into a sauce pan, skimming the top for excess fat. Add 2 cups of beef broth to the juices and bring to a boil.
- Mix 1 tbsp of corn starch with ¼ C of COLD water and slowly pour into the boiling broth mixture. Stir continuously until thickened and remove from heat. Stir in ½ cup of sour cream into the thickened broth and serve over the cooked meat.