Have an Instant Pot? Need recipes that are thoroughly tested and WORK?Get my new cookbook and meal plan for 40% OFF!
This Shortcut Homemade Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup has all the flavors of traditional chicken noodle soup with an added richness and texture that takes this comforting soup to a whole new level.
This Creamy Chicken Noodle soup is one of my favorites! I’ve always loved traditional chicken noodle soup, but the thickened creamy broth in this soup makes it special and hearty.
How do I make chicken noodle soup creamy?
If you already have a tried and true homemade chicken noodle soup recipe that you love, you can make it creamy! Just add a bit of flour to thicken the broth and add a bit of cream to richen the broth. These additions are what used in this recipe, and it creates a super velvety broth. Creamy chicken soups are kind of magical, so I also love this chicken queso soup that is even keto friendly.
If you don’t have already have a chicken noodle soup recipe that you love, I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with this recipe at all!
This recipe is my shortcut version of chicken noodle soup, and I add canned chicken at the end instead of cooking fresh chicken. Doing this cuts down on prep and cooking time and means you can still make a delicious soup when you forgot to pull the chicken out of the freezer!
Tips for Making Homemade Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- Homestyle egg noodles are found in most grocery stores in the pasta aisle and add a little bit of “homemade” flair to your soups without being homemade noodles. Check the freezer section if you can’t find it near the pasta as some varieties are frozen.
- Slow Cooker Preparation: When cooking creamy chicken noodle soup in the slow cooker I typically use fresh chicken breast instead of canned. You’ll season 2 chicken breasts with the poultry seasoning, salt, and dried onions and lay them in the slow cooker. You’ll then add the celery, frozen veggies, and broth to the slow cooker and set to cook on low for 6-8 hours or high for 4. When the chicken is cooked through, shred it and return to the broth. Combine flour with 1/2-3/4 cups of cold milk and stir until smooth. Slowly whisk flour/milk mixture into the broth until all the way combined. Add noodles to the pot, cover and continue to cook another 30 minutes or until thickened and noodles are tender. Stir remaining ingredients and seasonings into the soup and serve.
- Season to taste! I LOVE the little bit of added acidity and oomph that just a small amount of Tobasco gives to chicken soup, but if it’s not your thing, don’t do it! Taste and season with salt and pepper to your liking.
Want More Easy Soup Recipes?
- Creamy Slow-Cooker Tortellini Soup
- Slow Cooker Green Salsa Soup
- Loaded Vegetable Diet Soup
- Lasagna Soup
Tools used in making homemade creamy chicken noodle soup:
- OXO Mini Wisk: Sometimes you just need more than a fork to mix up small amounts! I love this whisk because it’s the perfect size to mix in small bowls, cups or even saucepans. It’s perfect for making gravy and soups.
- OXO Handheld Slicer: I love this little tool when making soup because it slices small amounts of veggies quickly and easily and I don’t have to dirty a cutting board– I just slice right over the pot and especially love it for carrots and celery.
Shortcut Homemade Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 stalks celery diced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons minced dried onions
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 12 ounce bag frozen mixed vegetables
- 8 ounce homestyle egg noodles
- 12.5 ounce can chicken drained
- 1/3 cup cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley minced
- few shakes tabasco
- Heat butter over medium heat in a large soup pot. Saute celery in butter until it starts to soften and stir in flour, dried onion, poultry seasoning, and salt. Cook for 1 minute.
- Stir chicken broth into the both and stir until the flour is fully incorporated into the broth. Bring to a simmer.
- Add noodles and frozen vegetables to the pot and cook for 15-2o minutes or until the noodles are tender. Remove from the heat.
- Stir canned chicken, cream, lemon juice and parsely into the soup. Season with a few shakes of tobasco sauce if you wish and serve.