Creamy Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup is a comforting soup that takes just a few minutes prep time, 7 ingredients, and basically makes itself.
Creamy Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup is just what your busy weeknights need! You can get it started in the slow cooker in the morning, and then just a few minutes before serving, throw the tortellini and spinach into the slow cooker to cook for a few minutes and you’re done! It’s quick, easy, and totally delicious!
I think the ingredient that really makes this slow cooker tortellini soup special is the cream cheese. It adds just a little tang to the soup that cream or bechamel doesn’t. And, I LOVE that this soup only takes a total of 7 ingredients but tastes complex and hearty.
Tips for Creamy Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup:
- This soup can be made on the stovetop, too! I like to use the slow cooker because I feel like it gives the soup that simmered-all-day-taste. But, if you’d rather just make it up quick and speedy on the stovetop you can totally do that! Just brown the sausage in your soup pot, add the sauce, mushrooms, broth and cream cheese as listed in the recipe and bring to a simmer. Add the tortellini and spinach and cook until the tortellini float to the top.
- Types of Sausage– I love the flavor that pork sausage gives but I don’t love all the fat. For this reason I like to use a 50/50 mix of pork and turkey Italian sausages. I buy a pound of each, split each in half and then store the remainder in the freezer until I need it again.
- Types of Cream Cheese- Some readers have had problems with using low-fat and fat-free cream cheeses as they curdle and don’t blend well into the soup. I’ve personally used Neuftachel cheese without any problem, but to be on the safe side I recommend using regular, full-fat cream cheese.
Want More Easy Soup Recipes?
- Creamy Tomato Soup with Cheddar Bay Dumplings
- Fiesta Slow-Cooker Chicken Tortilla Soup
- Tortellini Alfredo Soup
- Slow Cooker Green Salsa Soup
- Smoky Black Bean and Ham Soup
Tools Used for Creamy Slow Cooker Tortellini Soup:
- Ninja 3 in 1 Cooking System (My Slow Cooker): I’ve owned this slow cooker for about 6 years (when they were first introduced) and I still love it. The stovetop feature allows me to sear and cook meats before allowing them to slow cook (less dishes) and there’s a bake feature as well.
- The Chop Stir Tool: This strange little tool makes short work of browning ground meat with it’s odd shape that allows it to crumble the meat quickly as it cooks.
- 1 pound ground Italian sausage (I like 1/2 pork 1/2 turkey)
- 1 (24 oz) jar favorite spaghetti or marinara sauce
- 4 C chicken broth
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 8 oz sliced fresh mushrooms
- 16 oz frozen cheese tortellini
- 1/2 bag (4.5 oz) fresh spinach leaves
- Brown and crumble sausage until cooked through on the stovetop. Place cooked sausage in the slow cooker.
- Add sauce, chicken broth, cream cheese and mushrooms to the slow cooker. Don't worry about stirring in the cream cheese, just put the whole brick in.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 6 hours or on HIGH or 2-3 hours.
- 20 minutes before serving, turn heat to high if it isn't already and stir in frozen tortellini and spinach. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until tender and hot.
- Serve topped with parmesan cheese.
I'd love to see how you rocked it! Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #heatherlikesfood --It will totally make my day to see it!