Have an Instant Pot? Need recipes that are thoroughly tested and WORK?Get my new cookbook collection for 40% OFF!
This Instant Pot Chicken Dumpling Soup is the perfect comfort food! It’s a hearty soup full of veggies, tender chicken, and topped with dumplings.
Instant Pot Chicken and Dumplings are one of my family’s favorite meals lately. It’s heartier than chicken noodle soup, and my kiddos love the drop biscuit dumplings.
This recipe is one that I’ve used for as long as I can remember for the stovetop and I just modified to cook in the Instant Pot.
I was nervous about how the dumplings would cook under pressure, but they turned out great! I will admit that they aren’t quite as fluffy as their stovetop-cooked counterpart but for the time cooking in the Instant Pot saves me, I think it’s worth it.
Cooking Tips for Instant Pot Chicken Dumpling Soup:
- Don’t have an Instant Pot? No problem! This can be easily made on the stovetop. Follow the direction in the recipe through mixing the dumpling batter. Bring the soup to a boil and reduce to a simmer. Place small spoonfuls of dumpling dough into the soup, cover pot and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until the dumplings are set. Cooking on the stovetop yields less tender chicken, but is still delicious!
- Instead of using frozen veggies, feel free to use up any veggies you have in the fridge/pantry. Carrots, zucchini, brussels sprouts, potatoes, green beans, corn, spinach, etc. all work well and will make the soup your own!
Want More Easy Instant Pot Soup Recipes?
- Four 7 Minute Instant Pot Soup Recipes
- Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Chili with Pineapple
- Lentil Soup Made In The Instant Pot
- Instant Pot Broccoli and Four Cheese Soup
Tools I Use For Instant Pot Chicken Dumpling Soup:
- The Instant Pot 🙂 : This is the model that I have and LOVE. My Instant Pot has been with me for over a year and I’ve definitely put it through the ringer, but still works like new! It’s changed the dinnertime routine at our house and helps me make meals in under an hour that used to take HOURS!
- OXO Handheld Slicer: I love this little tool when making soup because it slices small amounts of veggies quickly and easily and I don’t have to dirty a cutting board– I just slice right over the pot! I especially love it for carrots and celery.
Instant Pot Chicken Dumpling Soup
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 stalks celery diced
- 1/2 whole large onion diced
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 bag 12 oz mixed frozen vegetables
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 1/4 cups baking mix like bisquick
- 2/3 cup milk
- Set the Instant Pot to "Saute" and cook onion and celery in the butter until translucent.
- Add chicken, poultry seasoning, salt, basil, and cayenne to the pot and stir to combine. Top with the frozen vegetables and chicken broth. Bring to a boil.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine baking mix with milk and stir until just combined. Scoop small spoonfuls of the dough into the boiling broth and continue until all the dough is used.
- Place and secure the lid on the Instant Pot, cancel the "Saute" mode and set it on "Manual" mode. Enter 7 minutes cooking time at High Pressure and allow to cook.
- Once cooking time is up, do a manual release of pressure or allow it come down naturally. Remove lid and serve.