Alright, on Monday when I sent you free with the knowledge of how to make your own enchilada sauce, did you really think I was just going to send you into the Mexican food jungle all by your lonesome? Doing that would just be silly and irresponsible, so today I'm giving you a great recipe to put that sauce to good use-- Chile Colorado Burritos.
The filling were making for these is chile Colorado or slow-cooked beef in red enchilada sauce. The meat comes out tender, moist, and intensely flavored by the sauce and is perfect for stuffing burritos, topping nachos, or making sloppy (but good) tacos. It can be cooked in the slow-cooker or on the stove-top and I've included directions for both below.
I typically use stew meat for this because it's cheap, lean and already cut (bonus!). Place the meat in your slow-cooker or large pot and season with some garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
Pour 2 cups of enchilada sauce over the meat and give a little stir to combine. I used my own homemade sauce this time and I highly recommend giving it a try, but canned works well too. Just make sure to get a brand that you know your family likes. All enchilada sauces have different levels of heat and acidity and since the sauce is a main player in this dish, you'll want to make sure you like it.
Bring to a simmer on the stove-top and cook over MED-LOW heat for 2 hours, or in the slow-cooker for 7 hours on LOW or 3-4 on HIGH. The meat is done when it's tender and shreds easily.
When the meat is done you're ready for some burrito makin'. We like to give each tortilla a nice schmear of refried beans...
Followed by a few spoonfuls of meat.
A little grated cheese makes basically everything better in my opinion too.
Fold one side over, add a dab of beans to hold the other side in place...
And smother the bad boy in the enchilada sauce the meat was cooked in and top with more cheese.
To melt the cheese and crisp up the edges of the tortilla a bit, place the burrito under the broiler for about a minute. When it's done you'll have a plate of saucy, cheesy smothered burrito heaven. Enjoy! See you on Monday!
Chile Colorado Burritos
- 2 lbs cubed beef stew meat
- 2 C enchilada sauce
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- Refried Beans
- Burrito-sized flour tortillas
- shredded cheese
- Place stew meat in a slow-cooker or large pot on the stove top. Season with onion and garlic powder and salt.
- Pour enchilada sauce over the top and stir to combine.
- Bring to a simmer and cook covered over LOW-MED heat for 2 hours on the stove top; 7 hours on LOW or 3-4 on HIGH in the slow-cooker.
- Meat is done when it shreds easily with a fork.
- Assemble burritos by layering refried beans, drained, cooked meat, and shredded cheese in each tortilla.
- Top with the enchilada sauce the meat was cooked in and more cheese. Place under the broiler until the cheese is melted and serve.