Cake Mix Brownies
I don’t know about you, but a big, rich, gooey brownie just hits the spot on some days. Like on days when it’s pouring rain and dark and gloomy, or when the kids don’t have school, or you have a cold, or Tuesdays.
I hate Tuesday.
I’m not even a huge chocolate fan and these cake mix brownies have me completely convinced that I need to reevaluate my dessert standards– they’re devilish, I tell you.
How To Make Brownies From Cake Mix
You’ll start by making the caramel layer by combining a bag of pre-made caramels with a bit of whipping cream and vanilla extract. You can definitely use the wrapped caramels, but if you can find them please use the caramel bits so you don’t have to unwrap all 45,000 individual caramels.
Place on the stove-top over medium heat and stir until melted and smooth. Set aside.
Brownies From a Cake Mix (Devil’s Food)
Pour a dry devil’s food cake mix (appropriate, no?), a little whipping cream, and a melted stick of butter into a bowl and stir until well combined- the mixture will be thick.
In a greased 8×8″ pan press about 2/3 of the cake mix brownie batter into an even layer on the bottom and place into the oven to bake for about 6 minutes to set. You’ll probably want to lick the spatula.
Remove from oven, top with a handful (or 2, 3!) of chocolate chips…
…pour the caramel over the top…
…and crumble the remaining cake mix brownie batter over the caramel.
Return to the oven and lick remaining spatulas.
Remove from the oven and enjoy!
Now, not so fast, impatient one! Bad things happen to those who can’t wait to cut these cake mix brownies.
Well really, the worst that can happen is that you’ll end up with a molten mess of chocolate and caramel and in the big scheme of things, that’s not so bad.
But if you want a finished product that actually resembles brownies you’ll have to be patient and wait for them to cool completely. It will be hard, but you can do it! The gooey, melty caramel effect can be achieved by placing a single brownie in the microwave for a few seconds before eating (that’s what I did for the final picture above).
Want More Brownie Recipes?
- Rocky Road Brownies
- Bribery Brownies (aka Mississippi Mud Brownies)
- Caramel Cashew Blondies with Maple Butter Sauce
The Devil’s Brownies
- 18.5 ounce box Devil's Food Cake Mix
- 1/2 Cup butter melted
- 2/3 Cup whipping cream divided
- 1/4 Cup chocolate chips
- 11 ounce bag caramel bits
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350
- Combine caramel bits, ⅓ C whipping cream, and vanilla in a small saucepan and melt over medium heat until smooth, stirring constantly. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine dry cake mix with the remaining cream and melted butter. Press ⅔ for the brownie batter into the bottom of a greased 8x8" pan and bake for 6 minutes.
- Remove from oven and top with chocolate chips followed by the caramel. Crumble remaining brownie batter over the caramel and return to the oven for 15-18 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting.