Sweet and sticky, this sweet chili chicken is finger-lickin’ good and only needs a few ingredients! Perfect served over rice with some veggies for a quick and easy dinner!
Are you guys ready for this chicken? I don’t know if you are. It’s so stinkin’ easy but gives you the sweetest, stickiest, slightly spicy, charred chicken you can imagine.
You’ll start with some chicken thighs because the dark meat can hold up with all of the abuse we’re going to put it through. 🙂 The thighs stay nice and moist and if we tried to get a char on chicken breast like this, we’d end up with dried out meat which is never good. Just season up each side with a little kosher salt.
And then you’ll spread a layer of sweet chili sauce over each thigh. If you’re not family with sweet chili sauce, I show a picture of it and where to find it in this post. After the sauce it gets a little drizzle of olive oil.
From here it goes straight into the oven for about 15-20 minutes and will look something like this. And now, this is where it gets FUN! Each thigh gets a little bit more sauce and then gets sprinkled with brown sugar a little bit more salt.
Turn the oven on to BROIL and place your oven rack just a few inches from the element. Slide the chicken into the oven and get ready to watch it bubble and char and get irresistibly sticky. It should only take 3 minutes or so, so watch it closely. Things can go downhill pretty quickly under the broiler if not watched like a hawk! Once it gets to charred to the point that you like, take it out.
If you used parchment paper to line your baking sheet it will start to burn and that’s okay. I’ve yet to start a fire and I put it under the broiler all the time.
Doesn’t this look good?!
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3- 1/2 C sweet red chili sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Place chicken thighs on a lined baking sheet and season with salt on both sides.
- Brush a layer of chili sauce over each piece of chicken and drizzle with olive oil.
- Place chicken in oven and bake for 15-20 minutes or until chicken is just cooked through.
- Remove chicken from oven and brush with another layer of sauce and sprinkle a teaspoon of brown sugar over the top of each thigh followed by another sprinkling of salt.
- Turn oven onto BROIL
- Return chicken to the oven and broil for 3-5 minutes or until the tops of the chicken are caramelized and starting to char. Make sure to watch carefully as it can go quickly.
- Remove chicken from oven and serve hot.
I'd love to see how you rocked it! Share your photo on Instagram with the hashtag #heatherlikesfood --It will totally make my day to see it!